Sinister: Amphetameanies Show 19/3

Kara Baer karastar at xxx.com
Sat Mar 20 11:56:19 GMT 1999

Dear Sinister confessional list,

Last night I was reminded of how much I like ska music.  I've never really cared for ska albums, simply because they seem to sound a bit flat.  They lose the energy and fun of the live show.  The Amphetameanies did not disapoint.
The audience consisted an equal mix of dour indie kids and skankers.  I did see a wee B&S herd up near the front consisting of Stu M (looking dapper in a dress shirt and tie), Isobel, and Stevie.  I think Stu M thinks I'm following him around.  I'm really not.  No, really!  He does recognize me at this point, though.  (I think that would make a great song title for my album.. "Kara: the album"  track 1-> Belle & Sebastian think I'm following them around but I'm really not.)
The opening band was pretty rockin'.  Not in a bad way, in a mediocre way..complete with musically masturbatory guitar solos, whole verses consisting of "Na na na na na..na na na", and their last song sounded just too much like the theme from Rocky.  They were increadably earnest.  I really just don't go for "Na na na's."  Not everything has to have vocals slapped on top of it.
The Amphetameanies came on about 11 to a vastly appreciative audience.  Some people were ready to skank even before they started playing. They did a mix of instrumentals and songs with vocals by their Debbie Harry look-a-like singer and boy singer.
Mick looked very fetching in his checked trousers.  He and the trombone-girl had some problems with this green light which was shining directly in their faces.  After some conferring between songs, shouting at Jim the light guy, and gesturing by the B&S crowd, they finally managed to turn the light around towards the audience.  Crisis averted.  The horn section was very together; they sounded good.  As I played trombone in a reggae band, I know how difficult it can be to get the horns sounding decent.  I also enjoyed seeing Mick expand his musical talents on such instruments as the cowbell.

Love Kara

"Cordelia: 'Is Mr. I'm so great I don't have to show up  for my date or even call going to be there?'
 Oz: 'I think he's just going by Devon now.' "
--Incan Mummy Girl, BtVS