Sinister: this is happening with the betsey trotwood's permission

pamela berry pamelab at xxx.com
Mon Mar 22 11:58:15 GMT 1999

morning all,

apologies for posting about a london-based event to those that don't
give a dang, if you're not going to be in town april 22, that's the
thursday night before bowlie, delete this message at will...

there was trousers talk, as there often is round these parts ha cha cha,
of setting up a show at the poetry cafe on that thursday since so many
people will be in town just hankering for a place to relax and listen to
some smooth sounds and meet up with friends and such, but the poetry
cafe has got the absolute cheek to have a poetry event already scheduled
for that night! fucking poetry, always rearing its head and stomping on
my buzz. so we've put together a thursday night gathering at a pub
somewhere else, with live music and live reading and a live bartender,
three great tastes that taste great together. hope some of you can make
it! here are the details:

thursday, april 22, 7:30pm
upstairs at the betsey trotwood pub
56 farringdon road, farringdon tube

£3 only to witness and hear the now! sounds of:

Harvey Williams
Piezoelectric Unit featuring the Duke of Harringay
Jim Shepherd

no extra charge to witness and hear the wow! sounds of trousers and joe
warming up the crowd and the p.a. early on with a couple of special
secret covers, as well as the how? sounds of timmylou hopkins and myself
attempting the same just before that. the order I've listed those three
up there has no bearing at all on the order they're playing, which is up
to them and hasn't really been decided yet. so get there early and don't
miss out on anything!

what's in store for the evening? well, harvey's got a new record out in
april, and my money's on him playing some of his new lovely tunes. the
duke will have, among other things, some reading going on for us from
the good book. speaking of which, anybody who's been hankering for their
very own copy of Young and Foolish, bring your allowance, as there will
be copies in the house! how excited am I that jim shepherd, he being the
genius behind the superfine jasmine minks, is playing?! pretty damn
excited, it has to be said. I can't wait to see what he's up to these
days. if anybody has any questions about how to get to the betsey
trotwood or thinks his or her life would be richer if they had a jasmine
minks tape or something so they know why I'm so crazy thrilled about it
all, feel free to drop me a line off the list. and if you do a fanzine
or have a record or anything, please do bring your stuff and walk around
trying to get rid of it. ten years ago people used to come up to me at
shows asking if I'd buy a fanzine or their records all the time, and it
was great because I'm a soft touch, and not one to hover and be in the
way long enough to suss out what I need at a table full of stuff.

how come nobody on this list talks about the visitors? tim hopkins would
have you believe that his recording history is limited to a single track
on a sha-la-la flexi but I have it on great authority that matinee
records out of washington, dc has a visitors seven inch or two slated
for release. you *can* take your glo-worms of yesteryear, I'll have
another order of the visitors, please. and a double order of mashed
potatoes. how come nobody on this list talks about mashed potatoes?

I'm off now to go work on my permission letter to ask the powers that be
if, as it has been rumored, I'm allowed to actually leave the camber
sands festival during the bands I don't fancy and go do something else
off-base! I never realized I could do that before and now I feel all
empowered! well I will feel empowered if the band lets me, I mean. maybe
my request for camp leave will have more sway if I bake someone special
a cake with a clipboard done in pink icing and those purty silver balls
on top? oh I do love to bake, almost as much as I love to be generalized
about as a fan, doesn't matter to me if it's the music press or an indie
label head. ah, best to leave it, what's the point of getting all cranky
about other cranky people when there's chocolate and beer in the fridge
and club 8 to be listening to today instead? hope I see some of you at
the show!

xopam