Sinister: Ernie was the talented one - discuss

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Tue Mar 23 14:44:09 GMT 1999

Afternoon, fiends...

Someone wrote a while back that physicists generally struggled to
finish reading anything that wasn't to do with sigma to the doodah
over pi times Eigen-howsyourfather.  Who was that ?  Oh, let's call
them Belinda.  Well, Belinda, I spent five years pretending to know
all about Newton and that German fella with the white beard and
thesedays I can scarcely start a book, much less finish one.  I'm
building quite an impressive library of untouched paperbacks I can
tell you - Atwood, Kennedy, Chekhov, Carter.  I'm hoping to broaden my
horizons a little this summer - lazy August days lounging just feet
away from still-cellophaned volume of Proust, or perhaps a sun-dappled
evening in a beer garden with a slim Derrida text poking out of my
pocket - Waterstones receipt still inside its unsullied pages.

I did my best to get to the bottom of "Larry Holmes", the short (ha !
That's a joke - I had to use the bloody scroll bar) story on the
Genghis Khans website, but started to compulsively skim a paragraph
in.  This is no reflection of the quality of Ms Campbell's writing,
btw - as I pointed out earlier to Belinda, it's me.  I can't hack it.
Liked the bit about the streaky carpark and the grandma into
metallurgy, though.

Seamus 'hospital food' Campbell had this to say:

>glo-worm are exceedingly pleasant at times, but that cover of "friday
i'm
>in love" was awful.

Ah, but isn't all about context ?  And in the context of "271 DC Bands
Interpret The Cure", it was a gobful of sugary goodness on a broad
plate of lukewarm gruel.  Besides, I hear the singer's living with a
right hardcase.  So watch it, pal.

Right - I'm off to take my brain to another dimension.  Pay close
attention.

Mike.