Sinister: Peter Paph ? E's havin' a laff...

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Wed Mar 24 09:51:38 GMT 1999

.. or rather he isn't.  Top Time Out scribe P Paphides, last seen
skulking around in the gents at the '200 Tousled Bedwetters' event in
New Cross, has devoted a two-page spread to an investigation of 'the
cult of Belle and Sebastian' in the latest edition of the London
listings mag.

Far from being the piss-take my rampant media-paranoia might lead me
to expect, it's actually pretty good (but then Paph is a good sort, by
all accounts).  The Smiths comparison is considered and then,
thankfully, rejected (at least in terms of the band - it still holds
for the fanbase, I guess).  There's the usual bumph about shambolic
live shows (groan - I won't go on about Leeds again but that night was
an exercise in grace and splendour) and a neat anecdotal potted history.

I'll leave it to someone with faster fingers or one of those magick
scanning contraptions to furnish you all with the full article; I'll
also leave it to someone with tighter underwear to point out the
omission in the discography.  A little bird tells me that this could
herald the start of extensive media interest in our little community,
so brace yourselves.  Pam and I have already had Rick Sky going
through our bins this week and Trousers has hired a private detective...

Stay fresh,

Mike.