Sinister: it's just rude

Honey honey at xxx.net
Wed Mar 24 12:24:55 GMT 1999

Hey!  It's list mummy Honey here, just checking everyone's cosy and
snug, and no-one's dropped jam all down their shirt.  Let's see - you
all seem ok except... that girl with dark hair at the back... those
earrings really won't work with that necklace... and Keith... your
flies are undone.  Oh sorry, it was intentional, ok, I'll shh.

Well last week I promised to tell you all about another new list
command, seeing "set nomail" has been nibbled at a couple of times by
a few of you.  So it's "set digest": if you want to swap between the
main list and the digest, instead of unsubbing/subbing you can just
send "set sinister digest" or "set sinister nodigest" to
majordomo at majordomo.net.  Actually it's hardly big news is it.  In
"TechyBoy Corner" last week, Peter, who always fiddles with the
latest gadget, asked if you do a "set sinister mail" after being a
nomailer, do you get all the messages back you missed.  The answer
is, intriguingly... no.

Next week: "set sinister tag" which unsubscribes you from the main
list in a big flurry and then subscribes you to the digest quietly
within a couple of days.  Oh no, that's just rude, sorry Tag, I
couldn't resist.  The Devil made me do it, and you know I love your
cheeky little grin.  And can't resist that (sigh!) body.

"In other news" I'm intrigued by the fact I've been quoted in Select
magazine, without anyone knowing.  On The Morning Of The Brits I
mailed you all about something I heard on Talk Radio, when erudite
broadcaster Jonathan King made a comment amounting to "who the hell
are Belle and Sebastian?"

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/cgi-local/archive.cgi?month=199902&msg=00267

I gave you the quote, and from the list it swiftly appeared on the
Jeepster site, and now it's appeared in Select, word for word.  Which
is amusing because I MADE IT UP.  Well, no but it was a very hasty
and liberal paraphrase of what he really said, but appears to have
been quoted word for word.  I hear on the grapevine that Jonathan
King is going to sue Select (sue! sue! sue!) and Select is going to
sue Jeepster (sue! sue! etc) so I'm standing by my mailbox.  Actually
I made that last bit up too.

You know when your pals in Glasgow are getting famous when someone
starts registering their names on the Internet like speculators on
the gold market.  Following on from the news that
belleandsebastian.com seems to belong to someone on an obscure office
in "Hudson, IA" since last October (called "hotnamez" - I wonder if
they're big fans of the band :), it appears that someone's bought
belleandsebastian.org (heath at VALLNET.COM??), and currently there's a
placeholder WWW page with the orange bus pictures. Some background
prodding leads me to think it might be a commercial site?  I'm going
to buy belleandsebastian.net and use it to promote the Orkney fishing
industry or something.

Oh and I was amused to read in my favour weekly emission, Need To
Know ("they stole our revolution, now we're stealing it back":
www.ntk.net), that someone's registered mybigstiffy.com, and further
prodding reveals it's... Disney!  I am DYING with joy at the thought
that they might be about to launch a new animated story called "My
Big Stiffy".  I'm getting in a tizzy thinking about it so I'd better
stop.

"some poxy geordie called paul mitchell" (c. Mistopher Chris)