Sinister: "schoolyard sexual politics"

PaperSun23 at xxx.com PaperSun23 at xxx.com
Fri Mar 26 15:55:40 GMT 1999

In a message dated 3/26/99 9:47:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, rap101 at york.ac.uk
writes:

<< ... i don't think i have a 'look'. i don't wear indie
 glasses, i don't even wear cardies or flares or flowers or band
 t-shirts. i look like someone who doesn't listen to music at all, i
 think. but i kind of thought that liking b&s, unlike any other band,
 meant that you didn't have to look or act like anything in particular... >>

Indeed, you don't have to look like anything or anyone to be a Belle and
Sebastian fan. There should be an overemphasis on the music and not on a
collective image of the fan base. Some of us share similar tastes in fashion
but there certainly is no prerequisite to being a fan. We do, however, run the
risk of allowing ourselves to be a bit pretentious and precious at times, but
that's a behaviour inherent in the fans of "intelligent" music.  How many
times have you gone to an indie show and overheard conversations full of band
discography and "they were better back before..."? It happens all the time;
kids trying to sound as if they can't possibly like something because lots of
people do. It's one thing to be knowledgeable about the music you enjoy, but
it's another thing to alienate the rest of the fans with an elitist attitude.

Wow, I'm out of control! Sorry if I sound preachy, but I had to get that out.
Also, about the Smiths comparison...I agree with m. elise, as I am a huge
Smiths fan. I've never heard the similarities in the music, but understand a
common quality in both bands' essence. They make us feel special and cause
many otherwise well-mannered people to dance around uncontrollably in bedrooms
all over the world. This is not such a bad thing at all!

One Love,
Moon Patroller Carrie