Sinister: Pink Martini

Jarrod San Angel sanangel22 at xxx.com
Sun Mar 28 23:45:30 BST 1999

Bon Jour * Guten Tag * Aloha * Assalam Alaikum * Merhaba * Buenas Dias

A merry sunday to you all, fellow sinisterians..
here is my reccomendation du jour:
Whence feeling a trifle burnt out listening to the limited catalogue
of our heroes, Belle & Sebastian (wonderful as they are, after 10,000
spins, you start to long for new material - it happened with the Smiths
& Morrissey - admit it!), may you find relief and passion in a new
discovery I made not too long ago:  a fabulous ensemble known as Pink
Martini.  Surely Portland, Oregon's finest musical offering, Pink
Martini seamlessly intertwine all the very best sounds of salsa, lounge,
cabaret, classical, romantic, and world traditions into their unique
hybrid vision.  The finished, polished result is an all too pleasing
record called "Sympathique" that is certain to slap a mile wide smile
across thine faces.  I was lucky enough to catch 2 or their  3 sold out
shows here in Los Angeles at the cozy supperclub, The Mint, where they
dazzled a usually musically-jaded crowd - moving them to sway, dance,
and rhumba the evening away.  Too damn special.  Loved it.  And I will
be the first to predict that their new album, due sometime later this
year, will be a smash - thanks in part to a stunning, single worthy song
entitled "Eugene," and a haunting, gorgeous piece sung in Croatian.  Oh,
by the way, for fellow cultrual and ethnic anthropologists and
enthusiasts such as myself, Pink Martini are sure to delight, as the
songs are sung in French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Portugese,
Croatian, and yes, English.  If ever this fine collection make their way
to your city, by all means, break any plans you might have, and see
them.  You will not be dissapointed.
JaRrOd SaN aNgEL