Sinister: Shopping List #1

Jarrod San Angel sanangel22 at xxx.com
Mon Mar 29 00:33:25 BST 1999

"I am so small, I am barely seen -
   how can this great love be inside  me?
     Look at your eyes -
         they are small, but they see enormous things!"
                                                    - Rumi

So here is My 1st Ever Weekly List Of "Fine Music I Bought This Week:"
(this can also serve as a list for those of you fickle shoppers who are
not sure what to sample..)
here they are, in no particular order

1. Lhasa - "La LLorona"
Dark & stirring Spanish ehtnic sounds, folksy, rootsy, lovely
expect to be bewitched

2. Smog - "Knock, Knock"
More introspective low-fi from the master, Bill Callahan
This new album has more of an up-tempo than previous smog albums; many
feel it is his finest offering to date

3. Jason Faulkner - "Can You Still Feel.."
hard edged, hook heavy, (but not at all zeppelinesque) pop rock.
Kinda groovy.

4. The Nields - "Play"
Much in the tradition of Belle & Sebastian, these folks weave pop, folk,
rock, and even psychadelia into their music, infusing it with beautiful
harmonies, and cathcy choruses.. sure to please

5. Erik Satie - "OEuvres for Piano"
This eccentric, turn-of-the-century French composer has become somewhat
of an obession of mine these past few weeks.. his is a mind & spirit
that I find unequalled anywhere in the timelines of music history..
bizarre creativity run rampant.  His 3 Gymnopedies, especially #1, is
the soundtrack to my soul... some days..

6. Momus - "Tender Pervert"
Ah, Nick.  "Nicholas, Don't Be So Ridiculous.."  Momus represents
rather baffling evidence that you can in fact be an undiscovered genius
while spanning a career well over a decade long..  This album, in my
humble opinion, should be in everyone's collection everywhere, and it is
perhaps one of the most underrated (as is he) albums in recent memory..
The man was Morrissey before Morrissey was really Morrissey, if that
makes any sense.. poetic, literate, passionate lyrics, rife with wit,
wisdom, ambiguous - and sometimes very UNambiguous sexual tinges, and
the keenest of all pop minds.. Momus is
a Hero.

7. Pink Martini - "Sympathique"
Among the best things I've stumbled across at me local record shoppe
this past month.  Brilliant.  Take salsa, cabaret, classical, romantic,
pop, lounge, and world traditions, shake well, and you'll have this
wonderful cocktail we call Pink Martini.  I have HIGH, APPLE PIE IN THE
SKY HOPES for this ensemble.  My heart is theirs.

8. Aterciopelados - "Caribe Atomico"
Ultra cool riffs and grooves from Latin America's premiere pop/punk/folk
rock band.  Next to Cafe Tacuba, few can match wit with
soul so effortlessly.  Bilingual education not needed.  Theirs is a
sound catchy and solid enough to be appreciated by all.

9. Anything by Composer Bohaus Martinu
My personal fave composer is Mozart.  For me, there is no one greater in
the history of music anywhere ever.  That includes any genre.  And all
of the elements I love about Wolfie are found in this 20th century
composer Martinu.  Beauty, simplicity, passion, soulspeak.  Give a
listen.

10.  The soundtrack to the film, "The Double Life of Veronique"
     Haunting original music by Zbigniew Preisner
Preisner writes entirely chilling music that manages to affect even the
most disaffected listener.  Sure, it's a movie soundtrack - but this is
a composer who could damn well be among the greatest of all living
composers.. Track #4, this eerie chorale, stirs me to no end.

11. Rufus Wainright - self titled debut
"April Fools" is on a loop in my head.  Love it.

12. And um, something called "Looper."
And speaking of loops - I just finally acquired Looper's debut.  Not
Bad.  Not bad at all.  I love the first cut, with the kiddies helping
out.  Laughed me little arse off first time around.  But I must agree
with, oh, was it the NME or Melody Maker, that said that The Ballad of
Ray Suzuki is annoying.. it's psuedorave/techno/triphop caca.. it lacks
the lustre, if you will, of the true techno "artist's" soul.  I can't
believe I just wrote that.  Techno/rave=anathema. Yet I know good
techno/rave when I hear it.  Go figure.  Anyway, the rest of the cd is
aces.  Still looking forward to The Gentle Waves.  Can't seem to find it
here stateside. OH, oh!  Ya know what the Ray Suzuki song sounds like to
me..?  The soundtrack to a Volkswagen commecial.. can't you just see it?
I can.  Ah, well...

There ya go, luvies
J at rR*d