Sinister: atypical but lovely

allen ussher at xxx.ca
Mon Mar 29 22:20:54 BST 1999

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Youn Jong Noh wrote:

> You know, there is much pleasure to be had in singing Belle & Sebastian
> lyrics that have a really catchy melody but that are strangely atypical
> and complex.  For example - "The Asian man/With his love hate affair/With
> his racist clientele".  (I thought I was the only one who felt this way,
> but I saw the exact same lines mentioned in the same context in a
> review.)  And these lines I think could be reversible - the sort which
> singers change on you in live performances - "We know you are soft cause
> we've all seen you dancing" & "We know you are hard cause we all you saw
> you drinking from noon/Until noon again".

I'm in 100% agreement with you here.  I think that (atypical melodies) is
one of the many reasons why the music is so infectious.  I found when I
first heard lines like "The Asian man.." that I thought it seemed like a
rather odd and awkward line to sing but after repeated listens, it just felt
right.  :-)  Also another good example is "Ease Your Feet Into The Sea"
(which is turning into my favourite song to sing along to).  The melody
seems to go places you don't initially expect but seem to really enjoy after
repeated listens -- especially the lines "But their eyes would pass over you
Over you/Who's seeing you at all?/Who's seeing You at all?"

allen ussher
--
"Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile