Sinister: Lazy journalism is king!

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Tue Mar 30 05:27:14 BST 1999

-----Original Message-----
>Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:21:05 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Stuart Gardiner <skg21 at xxx.uk>
>Subject: Sinister: Gay Mark, we don't want to know...
>
>The music press are always going to stereotype B&S fans as being all the
>same, even though it's blatantly not true. It's the same as the way they
>make up genres and subgenres to describe what a band sound like, and lump
>in with them other bands who sound completely different. It's just lazy
>journalism. Get used to it...

Lazy journalism?  Probably so, but think about it this way:

have you ever tried explaining what one of your favorite bands sounds like
to your friends?  It's very hard especially when they don't listen to
anything even remotely similar to what you do.  And you think of all the
nuances you have grown familiar with and realize that your friends don't
want a dissertation and don't have the patience to sit as you explain this
band song by song.  You're left with either going for how the band makes you
feel or what somebody else said.  So, you pull a name of a band out of your
hat to make your friends shut up.

With that in mind, try imaging people with 10 digit IQ's trying to pull off
the same feat.  That's the dilemna of journalists!  :^)

It's probably a tired subject, but I have finally scored the Looper album.
I was a bit saddened to see the limited edition of the Gentle Waves 7" was
gone already, but hey, it might as well be sold to someone with a turntable
who can actually hear with the thing sounds like, and considering that I
have the Looper 7" from this summer that hasn't been played either.....

At any rate, I heard this album when i got to my bandmate's house, and it
immediately caught my ear, so this is a sign that I wasn't going to convince
myself that I was going to like it once I bought my own copy.  I went home
with this and Catatonia's album.  And I admit the Catatonia album was
getting more play at the beginning, but I'm enjoying this for it's
cheesiness, but I have to wonder, does Stuart down deep wish he was with
Arab Strap?  After giving their 2nd album that name, and making this thing
as Looper with mostly spoken word, you sort of get the idea that he is
secretly kicking himself for not doing random spoken word albums, and has to
refer to Looper as nothing more than a side project.....but that's probably
my own projection, and who in the hell knows what he's thinking?  If you are
a prolific writer, I'm sure a catalogue of songs that don't fit what your
band does start to pile up and you hate to see them wasted.

the only complaint I have is that the vocals are mixed so low that I can't
hear what's going on.  That must be a Scottish thing since Arab Strap was
the same way.....and no, it's not the accent that is confusing me since I
lived in Glasgow for several months.

_______
Suzanne

http://home1.gte.net/suzsch/index.htm