Sinister: Lazy journalism is king!

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Tue Mar 30 16:47:08 BST 1999

At 10:27 PM 3/29/99 -0600, Suzanne Schroeder wrote:
>have you ever tried explaining what one of your favorite bands sounds like
>to your friends?  It's very hard especially when they don't listen to
>anything even remotely similar to what you do.  And you think of all the
>nuances you have grown familiar with and realize that your friends don't
>want a dissertation and don't have the patience to sit as you explain this
>band song by song.  You're left with either going for how the band makes you
>feel or what somebody else said.  So, you pull a name of a band out of your
>hat to make your friends shut up.

yup.  my band right now is having the exact problem.  it's hard to match
your sound to someone else when there's no one popular that you really
sound like...  one of the dilemmas of sounding "indie", and probably
the main reason the term came about - a catch-all for college-band types
that don't sound mainstream.  so what can you do as band like that trying
to explain yourself to the masses?  sit and whimper?  i'm not sure.

anyway, just chiming in accord, maybe didn't need to be said, but
sometimes it's lonely being a lurker, especially when you hate what
you do for a living...

senor droolcup [ shaking his fist at the air ]