Sinister: Still Bowled Over

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sat May 1 14:40:19 BST 1999

Happy May Day Weekend Sinistereens,

Yet more Bowlie ravings.

Jarvis Cocker: we bumped into him wearing his mac after V-Twin finished,
having his picture taken with someone (was that you Care Bear? with a bag
slung over your left shoulder?). Sally took a photo, but was too awe-struck
to speak to him, so I did so that she could too. He was chatty enough, but
a bit aloof/just being cool. We discussed why he wasn't wearing a gorilla
suit, and his TV series. (Because I don't really like Pulp! Sally does
though) He was upset that the programmes hadn't been shown at a primer
time.

Mr Dastoor (who really looks like Nick Dastoor) wrote:

        Laurel, for her one-woman Isobel Campbell bombing campaign.

Hmmm. I think Sally flew co-pilot on at least one mission. She also called
out "Snap!" to the following ink polaroid, especially the bit about Mick:

        This one's during 'If You're Feeling Sinister'.  It's taken from a
great position,         only    one row from the front and dead centre.
The band look good.  Except Straun - he needs
        to do something about his hair. All eyes are on Stevie, who is
grinning like an idiot,         clearly enjoying the adulation that his
fantastic steel-guitaresque playing is receiving.       Mick's smiling too,
obviously pleased with his mastery of the opening guitar chords.

Bowlie II: I get the impression that its Foundation, the promoters, who are
organising more events. Therefore if there is another, it won't be called
Bowlie, and it won't have anything to do with Belle & Sebastian. Poo or
what?

Bunked off work early yesterday to see Sodastream's in-store. They were
great: played really intensely for an hour to an audience of 18 adults, 1
toddler & 1 baby in a sweaty record shop. Free gig, free beer, a free
single: what more could you ask for? Rough Trade got me to get my plastic
out 4 times though: Karl's single, a John McEntire soundtrack thingie, and
new ones by Arab Strap & Suede. Now even more on the listening pile for
this weekend, so its lucky I have 2 weeks' ironing to catch up on!

The Belle and Sebastian story seems to be being scripted by Brookside's
writers at the moment. Triumphant Bowlie gig putting an end to all the
complaints ever voiced by critics or fans, swiftly followed by a debacle at
Dublin ending in temper tantrums. All hold hands and wish them well and no
more tensions please, before someone does something irrevocable.

Some whipper-snapper 39 year old wrote about being the oldest Sinistereen:
I think you 'll have to try harder, as I'll be 43 on the 12th & I don't
think even I'm the oldest.

Every shade of envious green imaginable, as I know someone who's got the
B&S Bowlie video to watch for the weekend, (Please Release It, Let It Go -
to whoever owns the rights)

Lots of love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK