Sinister: The mystery of the keys

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Tue May 4 19:10:56 BST 1999

Well I actually didn't lose any keys at all, but feel there may be some
sort of curse on the Bowlers amongst us, as on the way down to Bowlie I
lost my driving licence and several other irrelevant forms of ID (phone
bill, that sort of thing - just as well no-one at Pontins wanted to see
them, really) and also a litre and a half of vodka thanks to the lovely
National Express chappie who dropped my rucksack as he was lifting it
out of the bus.

Funny how Mark seems to get more injured than anyone else playing
football, I seem to remember exactly the same thing happening on the
beach last weekend.  What's that you say?  Italians?  Diving?  Drama
queens? Surely not?!?!  Hamstring was it Mark?  You obviously didn't do
your stretching properly, sorry if my laughing at your warm-up round our
chalet last week put you off your *proper* warm-up in any way :)

On a slightly more serious note (not to trivialise Mark's hamstring in
any way, oh no):

THAIAN N TON wrote:

> i was walking about campus the other day & saw a flier that said, "Depressed
> and have low self esteem?  Listen to (radio station) playing Morrissey, The
> Smiths & Belle & Sebastian"
>
> I thought that was rather funny that they said that B&S is low self-esteem
> music.

Doesn't anyone else think this? Maybe they're not low-self-esteem "I
hate myself and I want to die" stuff, but as a long-term bullying victim
with chronic self-esteem problems I identify far too much with certain
lyrics, especially "Mary Jo", "the one thing that I learned when I was
still a child was to take a hiding, if there's one thing that I learned
when I was still at school was to be alone", parts of "She's losing it"
and "Expectations", OK, maybe not what you'd all call low self esteem
music but I see myself in a lot of (especially earlier) Belle and
Sebastian lyrics and that's part of why I started to listen to them.
I'm pretty sure there must be a couple more people who see them that way
too?  Yes? No?  I mean there are a million other reasons I love them
too, but that's my view on the low-self-esteem thing anyway.

On that note, I shall say that if you look in Melody Maker not only can
you see Tag but you can see the space on the beach that I had been
occupying just prior to the infiltration by "proper" photographers.
FluffySarah's mate Chris is there, skulking in the far distance, and so
is someone else that I never spoke to, and someone indistinguishable
dressed in black that may actually be my esteemed chalet chum Mr Kevan
Cooke, a man with a fine taste in Japanese pop, the ability to survive
an entire weekend on Pot Noodles and red wine, and an encyclopaedic
knowledge of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  Chocolate arse, my
arse, Keith.  A dazzling sociological and philosophical discourse and no
mistake.  With oompaloompas and Roy Kinnear to boot.

Someone on the "I Saw You" board is wanting to organise a Millenium
Bowlie so they can start 2000 on the beach at Camber Sands.  Wouldn't it
be better to have it somewhere, like, warm, and without the need for
security guards?  I think we should have the Millenium Bowlie in
Struan's church hall.  I'm sure he won't mind.

Ailsa xx