Sinister: boring billionth post, nothing special...

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Thu May 6 15:54:19 BST 1999

Hello campers.

I've been waiting ages for an important message. I've been holding my breath
for so long that one lung has burst. I need the other lung to be able to
smoke my cigs. So perhaps I'll amuse myself by boring you for a bit.

Lovely to see so many graduates from the Sinister Nursery of Correction and
Hard Knocks feeling like saying hello. Hello!

I tell you what...let's do the show right here!

Mr John JJ John J wrote all the way from Seahouses:

>Here's some of my Bowlie pics, and a couple from the pub the night
>before in Farringdon, I won't say who they are of, so as to leave an
>air of mystery. Rachel and I are dancing to 'Ring of Fire' though.

Well, I'm very glad that there are others on the list whose drunken
impostors are uglier than they are. Phew.

Lovely Francis said:

>And the duo that played first was good also. They played a cover of >the
>Smiths and another wonderful cover (?) that I wasn't able to >recognise.

They were good, weren't they? They are the Foxgloves, who are Steven
Trousers of this fair Parish, playing with Gary Brooker, who used to be the
lead singer in Procol Harum, and who is now living the life of Riley
collecting royalties following Mercury Rev's Procol cover versions. They
(the Foxgloves)were covering the remarkably brilliant 'Travelogue' by
Glo-Worm. Mmmm.

>Respect goes to the Duke.

Doesn't it, though, always?

>Is there anyone of you in those picture? and who is who?

There is a picture of someone pretending to be me. He's the fellow who used
to go round pretending to be Stanley Kubrick, but he can't get away with
that any more, so he's decided to be me. Most inconvenient.

jennifer added:

>hello you pishrogues.

Pishrogues?! That is the single finest new word I've heard since I
discovered the word 'cheese'.

You what, Rob?
>Carried a CD of my band around to give to John Peel but I never saw >him.
>Was he even there?

Yeah, he was there drinking with us, him and his lovely daughter. He seemed
to know loads about the Sinister list, but I knew it was him cos he was on
about the Incredible String Band.

What? Oh, you mean that...? Oh.

Oh.

I'm glad it wasn't John Peel.

Sam said:
>Back then, when I searched for B&S the only web page I found was Andy
>Dean's, it's amazing how much things have changed in just under two >years.

But Deano's cave just gets hairier and hairier.

>Did anyone catch the Looper?

If you did, I think you can get some sort of ointment for it these days.

Mister David Moore Chelmsford UK, who is more fun than John bloomin' Peel
anyway, said:

>my first big gig (Knebworth 1) was 25 years ago, so
>they're re-releasing the posters of the 74-76 gigs.
>Tim, Mr P!O!Pkins probably missed his heroes
>Pink Floyd headlining because he hadn't even started school yet in >75.

Actually, I was there, aged 5, standing in the front row and spitting at
them, calling them stupid sweaty hippies and telling them to get their
bleedin' hair cut. At school, I mean, talking to the teachers. Every teacher
in Devon ever was a hippy. Apart from my Dad.

Talking of sweaty, I went to the toilet a little while ago and there was
someone in one of the stalls grunting like a stuck buffalo. I was
entertaining the entertaining thought that his arsehole had been sewn up in
his sleep by his disgruntled wife, and that he was straining to pop the
stitches. And then I thought of you lot.  I have no idea why.

Sorry Cliff.

That's probably about enough of that, isn't it?

Cheerio

Tim

This mail has been brought to you today by the word 'Oh', the thought 'ugh',
and the concept 'gratuitous'.