Sinister: you're cozy and the rain comes rattlin'...

Marie Elia eliam at xxx.edu
Fri May 7 18:31:30 BST 1999

sin·is·ter \'sin-es-ter, archaic se-'nis-\ adj
[ME sinistre, fr. L sinistr-, sinister on the left side, unlucky,
inauspicious]
(15c)
1 archaic: UNFAVORABLE, UNLUCKY
2 archaic: FRAUDULENT
3: singularly evil or productive of evil

§ Thesaurus:
sinister  adj
    seriously threatening disaster    sinister plot
   syn    baleful, malefic, maleficent, malign; compare OMINOUS

   rel    fateful, ill-omened, inauspicious, ominous, portentous,
con    harmless, innocent, innocuous

hello, you evil ones!

for some reason i thought i'd share webster's take on us....

anyway, today is odd and ominous (sinister??) weather here in
northwestern pennsylvania...  i am camped out at a computer to write
poems, and it was thundering and drizzling and all ready for a storm,
which i love!  but just now the sun poked through -- sun is highly
uninspiring....  however, listening to Rachel's is very inspiring...

on the subject of stuart's smashing antics, i think when i posted
that i was dismayed at his actions, i was thinking of the guitar --
an innocent guitar cut short in its prime!  i remember being at an
ani difranco concert, and some well-meaning obsessive fan threw some
sort of gift on stage, and it knocked over ani's other guitar which
was in one of those stands, and ani proceeded to seethe to the
audience, "this is folk music, okay?  we don't smash guitars -- we
Play them!"  my reaction to the dublin gig was sort of a watered down
version of that....

take care,
xoxo,

	marie