Sinister: Emotions and Songs, Lyrics too...

Mick McMick * Sandcastle Records bp224996 at xxx.edu
Fri May 7 18:12:01 BST 1999

Hello,
Darren Savage wrote:
> There have been some intersting views expressed of
> late concerning individuals emotional responses to
> songs.  I am doing some research at the moment into
> the affects of auditory stimuli on cognitive
> processing.  If anyone has any tales of woe or
> happiness related to particular songs then I would be
> very grateful if you could send me them.

	Rather than send a response directly to Darren, I thought I'd
generalize my views on this enough to make it relevant to what I think
is a pretty interesting thread...
	First of all I find myself caught up the most when I'm listening to
music either A) Live or B) In my car. Something about driving and
listening to music is really satisfying to me. I think I concentrate
more on the music then at any other time. The driving is sort of
second-nature (maybe that's not a good thing ;)  and the music becomes
the full focus. I mean, I'm listening to music right now while I type,
but I'm concentrating more on what I type than driving.
	Also, I agree with what Alasdair briefly mentioned. Often times the
lyrics play second fiddle so to speak to the song, and in my personal
experience the strongest emotions I have in reactions to songs is
usually not to the lyrics but to the music itself. Something to do with
Crescendos, usually.
	But I do appreciate lyrics too. You know, am I the only one who thinks
Stuart's lyrics remind me of the Beatles? Only because they're one of
the few bands I listen to who mostly write songs in the third person.
But is that the only reason? Going on the basis of "Hurley's Having
Dreams," I wouldn't be surprised if Monsieur Murdoch was a fan. After
all, it would be a bit difficult to like the Left Banke and despise the
Beatles, wouldn't it? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but we'll probably never
find out one way or the other...

 /"\_/"\_/"\  Brian Pennington, a.k.a. Mick McMick; Sandcastle Records
 \         /  bp224996 at ohiou.edu                           ICQ#5056758