Sinister: Stuart Staples meets Stuart Braithwaite shocker

DavidJ2502 at xxx.com DavidJ2502 at xxx.com
Sat May 8 22:48:41 BST 1999

Hello,

I Just had to drop a line about Oliver (hello Oliver) and his dilemma about
whether the Godspeed You Black Emperor! album is putting £15 to good use. In
a vastly inadequate word: yes. I bought F#A#(no infinity sign on my keyboard-
help) about a month ago and it hasn't been out of my Walkman since; the
previous champion B&S compilation is now de-throned.  I hate to do one of
those lazy pop journalism
imagine-the-Cramps-in-a-room-with-the-Stooges-playing-the-Pastels-on-acid
similies but I just can't help thinking of The Tindersticks as well as the
more obvious Post-Rock connections, but that's probably just the strings
innit? Mind you, paying ten quid for the new ep is a bit much.

Sad muso fact: My local Our Price files Godspeed You Black Emperor! under K
for Kranky (their record lable) 'because it says that on the side of the CD
case {grins with smug self satisfaction endearing himself to no-one}

Going off at a tangent a bit, you can call me paranoid if you like but I
stood next to a bloke who looked just like Mick Derrick from Prolapse at the
Fall's gig in Birmingham last week. He lives in Leicester doesn't he? Just a
hop, skip and two jumps from England's most drab town. My brother said it was
someone else, but I think he saw my brother's Prolapse T-shirt and decided to
get some much deserved adulation. Alternative theory- Stars in their Eyes
contestant (doing Pull Thru' Barker next week) tries to take credit for other
people's work. Just a thought.

Before I go, does anyone know where exactly in Birmingham Lawrence from Felt
is from? I was thinking, if I could get an open-top bus I'd do guided tours
like they did with Manchester and The Smiths. But seriously, it would be cool
to see where he was brought up... in a non-stalker kind of a way.

See you,

David J.