Sinister: Re: Stephen Dalton, You're Just Being Silly

Essexdog5 at xxx.com Essexdog5 at xxx.com
Tue May 11 00:27:10 BST 1999

Hello all,

I've been lurking since this list was but wee, and my attempts at (drunken)
posts have been disastrous. So I thought I'd try again. After getting back
from the pub.... hey-ho. Ahem. Anyway, to the point, Rob wrote:

"Stephen Eastwood (B&S type at C4's Planet Sound) dismissed the set as
'slo-mo metal guff'"

Guity as charged. Sort of. I can't quite recall what went up on air after the
copy was savagely (as opposed to mimsily, or even daintily) butchered, but
here's what I originally scrawled:

"On Saturday, the second stage hosted an act billed as "mystery guests" - and
it was Mogwai, surely the worst-kept secret since "Mercury Rev are a large
heap of festering Procul Harum B-sides in concert". The Gwai's slo-mo metal
avant-garde emo-rock guff drew a huge crowd, mostly comprising shouty Scots
blokes. We don't like people in bad tracksuits and cowboy hats, so we went to
see Jon Spencer instead. Naturally, he rocked".

(going to see JSBX was a lie, by the by).

Oddly enough, myself and FunkySeb (who did an ad campaign today wearing my
Stow tee-shirt for pamphlets which shall be distributed to every student
campus in the land - yay!) have had huge arguments vis-a-viz Mogwai being any
cop or not, most of which seem to end with me saying: "Aaaaah, but I remember
Slowdive / My Bloody Valentine / Spacemen 3 / (insert name of suitably
minimalist/brutalist composer here)!", to wit he replies: "Aaaa, but you're
just OLD!!". Gah. I'd have got away with it too, if it weren't for you pesky
kids.

Stephen.