Sinister: [Non-B&S] Re:Flaming Lips, not meant for fans

Justin Williams justin at xxx.com
Wed May 12 16:35:46 BST 1999

At 10:51 PM 5/11/99 -0700, you wrote:

>And I think it was Beth, who said something like "Flaming Lips kick ass!!"
>Hmm. I've tried to listen to them, but I really can't say that I got it.
>Don't know why.

I don't mean to offend anyone which I am sure is not an effective
disclaimer, but I was hoping  someone would agree with me on this subject,
and I think Frankko is the first.  I bought a Mercury Rev album (Deserter's
Songs) the other day, and although the music is nice and catchy, that voice
reminds me too much of the guy from the Flaming Lips.  I truly without
sarcasm can't understand why people like that screechy, high-toned voice.
I saw the Flaming Lips about three years ago, and the show they put on was
not bad, but it takes every iota of strength for me to put up with his
voice.  Just to give some ammo to those who are going to be attacking me, I
like the Trash Can Sinatras, Donovan, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan (I like
the lyrics, not the voice), and a lot of other mellow stuff which may
explain why I don't like FL.  Sorry to waste the list's time with non-B&S
info, but I just had to get that out.  Also I apologize for any offense
taken....all in good fun, eh? :)

Justin W

"Often I tried the frightening way of "reality,"
 Where things that count are profession, law, fashion, finance,
 But disillusioned and freed I fled away alone
 To the other side, the place of dreams and blessed folly."