Sinister: More about rice pudding

Halliday, Ian Ian.Halliday at xxx.NZ
Wed May 12 06:29:38 BST 1999

It was a very long time ago that rice pudding started to be more than just
something to eat. A group of renegades at a festival apparently had nothing
else to eat and spent their time shouting "Rice pudding!" instead of the
more usual "Wally!"
Not long after, I discovered one of these people advertising his dubious
history by using the aforementioned product as a session name on the
department computer. We became good friends after that, and I am still able
to quote his little poem on the subject.
Some dream of semolina
And some of apple pie
But without my rice pudding
I know I'd surely die.
Ambrosia Rice Pudding
Is creamy, smooth and nice.
I never will dessert (!) you,
Ambrosia Creamed Rice.
So the question is this: does anybody know what happened to Ewan all those
years ago? Maybe Mr Sallis could help me on this one, as he obviously speaks
with considerable authority about rice pudding and champagne, two of life's
staple foods. And what does this have to do with B&S, a group so obscure
here in New Zealand that I would probably never have heard of them but for
the fact that I was introduced to them by Honey, who was at the same high
school as me in Angleterre, and who obviously saw them as worthwhile. CDnow
had a special offer a while back which enabled me to get hold of a copy of
IYFS for next-to-nothing so I did. And now the New Zealand newspapers have
found about B&S and are writing beautiful reviews of Arab Strap. And none of
this would have meant anything to me if I hadn't stumbled across Honey's
website. Ah, the stories I could tell about him, but cannot because he would
moderate any of the stories I posted out of existence....

Regards,

Ian