Sinister: orange

ian ian at xxx.uk
Sat May 15 13:19:13 BST 1999

hello

not the most original introduction, but its saturday and the sun isn't
shining.

turns out i got kicked out of the nursery three days ago and i didn't even
notice.  its strange how things sneak up on you when you are fast asleep.

i joined the list the day after i came back from bowlie.  partly to blether
about bowlie, because just about everybody i know was sick of hearing about
it.

now you are all sick of hearing about it too.

i met some people from sinister at bowlie, which was how i found you
all...they were sitting on top of a sand dune on sunday morning, waiting for
the sun to come up.  we had staggered off to the beach after the flaming
lips and a second night of northern soul, in the dark, scared of the
ghost-bushes that lurk either side of the sand dunes.
we stayed a while, chatting to people in the dark, and then climbed up a
sand-dune to play frisbee.  as if by magic, the sinister people appeared.
there was a bloke called jim who we saw later at the b&s gig.  he gave my
fainting friend some water to pour over her tits.  it helped a lot...and i
was thankful because if it was a choice between my friend lying in a heap on
the floor in the middle of a gig, and me missing belle and sebastian
then..well...i'd have just had to hope she didn't get trampled too badly.

the people in the chalet nextdoor to us had those t-shirts with the bus
on...the ones we tried to order on the internet and couldn't
get...grrrr.....they put them in their window one night and so we tried to
compete.  but the only thing we had to compete with was a copy of the nme.
we cut a picture of this mad starey geezer out of the paper and stuck that
in the window with some glitter glue.  we thought it was rasputin.
turns out the man was from the cover of electronic's new album.  worse, it
wasn't rasputin, its actually the son of sam, a serial killer.  nice.

the next day they had windmills.  all we had was a yellow and pink
microphone from the kit kat cafe.

i truly believe that if we'd stayed there for a week they would have had
their very own eiffel tower erected on the roof of their chalet (despite the
fact that they were on the ground floor).  we would probably have had a
sand-castle.  perhaps with a few decorative shells on top.  which electronic
would have stolen for their next album cover.

twas groovy anyway.  and i met some great people.

but enough of that now.  on with your lives.

ian