Sinister: When I get no mail...

pbelinsk at xxx.net pbelinsk at xxx.net
Sat May 15 14:41:05 BST 1999

I try to be on good terms with my inbox. It sends me nice things, I read
them to myself, pat my monitor on its head, and wait for it to give me
more. But the weekend! Oh dear, when I find myself checking my mail the
most, there is the least. My dear Eudora has a cough now from searching
searching searching for new mail... and there is none. None but a few spams
telling me how to make a cable descrambler box. I do have a few things to
say though (which I will conveniently number so I don't lose track)

1. Reading my mail... reading my mail... Stina Nordenstam, blah blah blah
Stina nordenstam bloo bloo bloo... Stina.. OH! LITTLE STAR!! Stina
NORDenstam!  Somehow I heard Little Star on the (deep breath) Romeo and
Juliet soundtrack (exhale) and ooooohh, I thought it was so nice. But i
didn't look to see who it was by. I searched for "Little Star" on the UBL
and it gave me crazy things by the Supremes and the Temptations. I knew
that wasn't right. Now I know now I know!

2. Is it wicked not to care (that someone is turnin' a profit)? Absolutely
not! But of course the other side must be allowed to speak too. Opinions
are opinions are opinions, and if saying them out loud makes you selfish,
well then... My take on the looming bigness of Belle and Sebastian is this:

I think that it isn't snobbery and selfishness. It isn't that we (and i am
using "we" to mean "me") want them to stay small because we are selfish. If
everyone in the world could love it that would be fabulous! Imagine the
picnics! But if B&S were all over the place then people would be listening
to them because of a good review or they like stu's arms of sex or
whatever, and if they rushed out and bought an album for aesthetic reasons
they might not like it at all. And then they might say mean things about
them. I see it as a seventh grade math problem.   If 100% of the listeners
like them right now
and we add a solution with 35% happy listeners, 38% lukewarm listeners, and
27% unhappy listeners...
Some are complaining, some only like one or two songs, some are still
swooning. What if the band was to get discouraged and not play for us
anymore?

 Last week everyone was talking about how they found the lyrics + music to
be emotional and whatnot. And listening to it is somewhat of a religious
experience for lots of folks. I don't quite know what I want to say,
because I want to say it without sounding the way I fear it will sound.
When someone who only moderately likes Belle and Sebastian wears a Study at
Stow shirt, do you not think that it has been sullied by his/her tepidness?
I do. It probably isn't the *correct* way to think and may sound mean and
unwelcoming. I protest! I only want unreceptive people to stay away. I
don't begrudge anyone the opportunity to make money or listen to beautiful
music. And its only my opinion. I do not think that by expressing it I am
being selfish, nor were the people who started the thread.

3. Where did the rest of the footer go?

4. Jeepster website: what on earth is that font? I see nothing but the
greek alphabet and must copy and paste to elsewhere to read it. Oh, why
does amazon.com say that Tigermilk can be bought as an import, as it has
been released May 4th?  Silly. looking at the reviews someone said this
about Belle and Sebastian (which quite made me laugh):

Brad W. (bradleyw at usa.net) from Chicago IL USA , December 28, 1998
This Is One Star Too Many
...People, people -- Belle & Sebastian is flat out boring, and they are
musical thieves to boot (unless Lou Reed is collecting royalties...) And
perhaps most offensively, Belle & Sebastian's fan club members gather for
picnics before their shows. Picnics! If that doesn't tell you what kind of
jelly-filled danishes gravitate towards Belle & Sebastian's music, nothing
will...
(the end)
I don't think that jelly-filled danishes is the worst thing to be called.
so nyaaaa Brad W.

5. Goodbye!
molly