Sinister: bloody thieves!

alex tobin popjourno at xxx.nl
Mon May 17 08:07:06 BST 1999

Brad W. wrote:

...People, people -- Belle & Sebastian is flat out boring, and they are
musical thieves to boot (unless Lou Reed is collecting royalties...)

Lou Reed?  Can I now assume that the next album will be B&S's very own
version of 'Metal Machine Music' or loaded with references to veins,
heroin, and the Dirty Boulevards of Falkirk?  Seriously folks...  Nick
Drake, Love, the Field Mice, Tindersticks, Lou Reed?  Hehe...  Where
will it end?!!  Surely it can't be a crime  - it would be unnatural -
not to be, in some shape or form, influenced by certain bands and
musical styles.  We all know Oasis have become 'I am the Walrus' types
and that certain Parklife-era Blur songs are reminiscent of Kinks output
(hell, the Beatles freely admitted that Chuck Berry, Lttle Richard, etc.
were paramount in their musical development in early days), and it must
be extremely difficult for budding songwriters with a love of music to
actually chuck out all of the music they listened to in the past and
come up with their very own unique sound.

As a sometimes writer for several German music mags, I often catch
colleagues - when describing new releases - to write something along the
lines of 'album sounds like a cross between x and y', thereby
namechecking other acts in order to better describe new releases.
Often, this is just lazy journalism; often, deadlines are looming and we
have to get 'something in' for the next issue...

So, now I'm curious about further Lou Reed connections...  Is Isobel the
Nico of the band?  Should we make Stevie the John Cale to Stuart's Lou?
Who will fulfill the role of Andy Warhol (any takers out there?)?
Likewise Bowie or Iggy Pop (Aidan Moffat?)...

Ah well, it's early - too early - yet, and I'm starting to rant.  I'd
better leave that up to others here and sign off for now.

Your very own satellite of love

Alex

http://www.popjourno.com
a new mailing list for music, film, literature, art, travel, and ranting
in general