Sinister: Fash Mag Slags

Iain McGilp u02nim at xxx.uk
Mon May 17 19:03:58 BST 1999

OK kids...

I've had my voice for quite sometime now, but have only now
felt compelled to post anything, being as I am currently
fired by a righteous and heartfelt fury.
Basically, what this tower of waffle boils down to is a
recent article in a "lifestyle" (for lifestyle read
pretentious london-centric wank) mag which goes by the name
of Sleazenation. (I note that Fluffy Sarah recently left a
post in which she seemed to find said rag endearingly
pretentious. I sadly cannot share her sense of humour about
this titanic pile o' pish).
Aside from treating music as some inane fashion accessory,
and utilising THE most emaciated models that I have ever
seen; it is their sickeningly superior attitude that really
gets on my wick (a recent issue featured an article on
"vile clubbing", which is apparently the new "in thing",
where you dress up in your frigging Carharrt and Hysteric
Glamour and go to provincial nightclubs and laugh at all
the plebs who don't listen exclusively to Mo'Wax and Ninja
Tune records, cos imagine being soooo uncool as to not live
in Swinging London).
Hence imagine my sense of foreboding when I noted that
their latest issue featured a related piece on "vile
clubbing" at "200 Troubled Teenagers", written by someone
called Matthias Connor (I don't know why, but the guy's
name just makes me think of one of those wanks with goatees
and sideys who wears shades with yellow lenses).
The content was pretty much what I expected, with
references to "painfully shy mousy girls", "fey duffle-coat
clad boys" and "the least offensive music known to man"
(this from people who champion a load of noodly jazz-hop
shite with saxophone solos played by white boys from the
home counties who wish they were black, and which sends
most people who aren't loaded on ketamine, or whatever
their fave new designer drug is, to sleep ), followed by a
passage of hideously unfunny sarcasm.
What grates more than this is the fact that the people that
write for this magazine are clearly the sort of bell-ends
that are so busy striking poses and trying to prove how
clever they are, that they never really think about or feel
anything, and I feel kinda sorry for them.

Sorry to put such a dark complexion on your day, but I am
at University in Aberdeen; I need an outlet for my
frustrations.

Peace 'n' Love,
Iain McG.
Iain McGilp