Sinister:Iain Hamilton - a tribute.

Suave & Elegant elu488 at xxx.uk
Tue May 18 01:32:00 BST 1999

OK, I'm sure there'll be a torrent of disapproving responses to a certain
recent posting from Ihamilt at aol.com (and I HAVE read Honey's response), but
regrettably I have to say I agree with some of the sentiments expressed by
Mr. Hamilton. The truth hurts, and I just hope that some of the more
pretentious folk on this list are writhing around in agony right now,
although the sad fact is that the people targeted in the 'tribute' are
probably too busy revising their own histories, buying the whole Sarah
Records back catalogue or perfecting their 'fey and vulnerable' look to
notice.

Don't get me wrong, since subscribing to the list I've come across some
amusing and thoughtful souls who genuinely have something to say. Also, I
would never dream of attacking anyone personally on the list. Hey - it's a
pleasant place to be! To be fair, the original idea of a forum for B&S fans
has been preserved fairly well and it's probably the most impressively
maintained mailing list I've seen. It just gets TIRING to see some people
hiding behind the same old cliches in order to impress 'hardcore' fans or
(most sickeningly) to get laid. It's so obvious sometimes that I just sigh.
I used to laugh before it became so widespread, but now I sigh.
Incidentally, the sighing's not a public display of how shy, socially inept
and sexually naive I am! :)

All I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt to be yourself. I'm prepared to
openly admit that I swear like a sailor with Tourette's, take drugs
regularly and can easily approach members of both sexes without blushing
(unless I'm in love, natch). I've even had (oh, the shock) casual sex
several times in the past and enjoyed it. How un-floppyindielo-fibandwagon
of me! So next time anyone feels they have to ACT cool, remember that you
ARE cool in a sense just for being on this list. To quote Moz, "You have
incredibly good taste".

--
CiarĂ¡n Lynch         elu488 at bangor.ac.uk