Sinister: Let's 'ave it!

Suave & Elegant elu488 at xxx.uk
Tue May 18 04:17:59 BST 1999

You, outside. Erm ... now. Spill my Babycham will yer? Your mother cooks
socks in Hull.

OK, so I'm not feeling irate enough to lapse into physical violence (and
the closest I get to that is through my self-administered arse slapping at
provincial indie discos near you) but I really do have a point to make, and
I'd appreciate it if people didn't just scarper or resort to blissful
ignorance every time there's the slightest hint of confrontation amongst
listees.

Before anyone begins to yawn or assume this is another missive related to
the Ihamilt controversy, all I can say is that it isn't. Not really anyway.
At the risk of being chased out of town by flustered feather duster
wielding indie kids, I'd just like to point out that in any close-knit
community  (or 'cult' if Select is to be believed) such as this, open
debate between members is vital and often FUN. As long as things don't get
too personal and there aren't insults being bandied about freely, there's
no harm in people getting passionate about something and wanting to
articulate their point of view. Friendships often arise out of these
situations - if several people share a strong belief in something, then
obviously they have the foundation for healthy relations with each other
(and NO smutty comments please!).

The only problem I have with this list is that (in my experience) the
opportunity to indulge in a good debate rarely arises because everyone is
so self-consciously Grandmotheresque (splendid neologism, don't you think?)
and convinced that everything they post should be caked in saccharine. It's
all well and good to be kind and gentle, and I'm SO glad that there's not
much Manics fan style internal bitching, but when there's this atmosphere
of forced courtesy it all starts to resemble a Nazi 'Strength Through Joy'
programme or something from '1984'. You WILL be happy and exist in harmony!
Not that I'm accusing Honey of being Hitler or Big Brother (weeeelll, maybe
the latter :P) but ... I'm sure you know what I mean. I'd just like to see
more people breaking the mould instead of posting more updates of The
Terribly Twee Things I Did Today. I'm a sucker for outsiders and misfits,
see. So if you're reading this, why not respond to it if you strongly agree
or disagree? It's probably just the post-Bowlie comedown, but the list
seems stale and that's a damn shame. Let's make sure it doesn't stay like
that.

PS I know that this was all a bit condescending but it's 4:15am and I can't
sleep. Have SOME pity!
--
CiarĂ¡n Lynch         elu488 at bangor.ac.uk