Sinister: A boring Iain post

Honey honey at xxx.net
Wed May 19 12:18:06 BST 1999

Shouldn't you all be working?

I've got a couple of mails from Iain and a sackful of opinions on
this whole thing which I won't have a chance of replying to before
the millennium bug brings Sinister down anyway, so thanks to everyone
for taking time to let me know.  For Sinister archivists who care
about these things, Iain tells me that was a bit hacked off with the
list and B&S-y fan things, wasn't getting much out of the list
anymore "so I thought bugger it" and sent it.  He always expected to
be kicked off.  He was happy for me to pass this on.

I have to say of all the private mails I've received since I asked,
every single one seems to be in agreement with what happened.  I know
a small minority of people have expressed surprise on the list, but
would that make it therefore very churlish of me to try and draw a
line under it now?  I therefore (gasp) declare the matter closed and
hope that brings a collective sigh of relief rather than a
constitutional crisis and midnight arrest.

I'm also fully aware that this episode goes down as one of the few
times we've become more like some other lists and disappeared up our
own backsides, so a personal opinion: we probably don't need a slew of
"what the heck was all the fuss about?" mails and murmurings about
everyone being too precious.  Sometimes you just have to go through
things if you can't go around them, although I know that applying
that to the backside metaphor isn't pleasant.  If you'll pardon the
expression I tried to nip all this in the bud and failed.  Trying to
again now please help :)

Can we just say that the Church of Sinister is like the Church of
England, a broad church, but without the laughable costumes?  The
evangelical wing of P!O!P!sters who declare "pop is politics,
politics is P!O!P!" and are big fans of Lene Zavaroni; the high
church anglican fucking hard boys who get pissed at the altar on
communion wine and kick the choirboys up the arse and hold their
heads down in the font; the methodist twee kids who hide in the
vestry, whispering to anyone who passes how they missed a bus
yesterday and it made them cry, and try to get the vicar's autograph
in their Hello Kitty notepad; and the agnostics and atheists who sit
in the pews incredibly quietly, listen to the music with glazed eyes
and a little enchantment but run like hell after the service is over
in case the bloody vicar comes to talk to them.  And I'm not a
sectarian and you're all equally welcome.

There, I've insulted everyone.  You may not be the same as your
neighbour in the pew but it doesn't mean they're faking.  Oh hell,
Nick and Ailsa said it better than me.  Maybe now we can get back to
the important issues of high debate.  What does everyone think of
B&S hairstyles?

That was a joke, by the way.  I'm off for a lie down.
Honey