Sinister: The man with the plan

Robin Stout Ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Wed May 19 14:17:29 BST 1999

Hello

	I once read somewhere how Dr Pepper got it's name. It was a
long time ago, in Fast Forward magazine, I think. Here's what I can
remember of the story.
Once upon a time there was a man who had a plan. He planned to make a
drink out of plums and shoes and sell it to the world and make bags
of money so he could buy more plums and more shoes and make more
drinks and more bags of money and then he would buy himself a dog. So
this man, let's call him Bob, he made the drink and he tasted it and
he saw that it was good. Although it tasted a bit like cough
medicine. But no-one will notice, he thought, as long as I give it a
super name that simply dazzles everyone. The first name he gave it
was Mr Yo! He tried selling it in his shop that sold bog brushes but
to no avail. So he changed its name to Mrs Bag. "That'll do the
trick" he thought, and it sold quite well for a while, but one day
the real Mrs Bag came into the shop and wasn't too pleased. She hit
him with a big stick and poked him in the eyes with her thumbs.
	Blind and hopeless, Bob staggered home. He opened the door and his
daughter bounded up to him. "Daddy dearest!" she cried "I want you to
meet my new boyfriend, Graham. My god, what's happened to your eyes?"
Bob explained the story about Mrs Bag. "Oh dear" said Graham "Now it
sure is a good thing my papa's a doctor. He could fix you up in no
time, mister." So off went Bob to the doctor.
	The doctor mended Bob's eyes and got rid of his verruca and even
gave him special hover boots which let him fly over people in post
office queues. "Thanks doc." said Bob, "Oh, and by the way, I never
asked you your name." "Dr Pepper" said Dr Pepper," but you can call
me Fred".	"Dr Pepper", thought Bob as he walked straight to his bog
brush shop. "Mmmm, Dr Pepper..."
	And the rest is history.

	So it was named after some bloke's daughter's boyfriend's dad.
Obvious really.
	About the lowercase debate - I don't like e-mails that are typed in
lowercase simply because I find them very difficult to read. The
sentences all seem to join together.
	Oooh! No, a bit lower. Ooooooh!

	Two thumbs up to Ailsa and Nick. If eloquence was on my side I'd
have said the same.

	Bye!

	love Robin xxx