Sinister: Warning: LONG boring on-topic post

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Wed May 19 15:07:34 BST 1999

It occurred to me that there's nowhere on the web that collects all the
unreleased Belle & Sebastain lyrics.  So I trawled the archives and tweaked
around with things a bit from memory (I haven't got the songs here at work to
check them over) and stuck them all in this mesage.

 I thought maybe Honey could put them up on the website once anyone who feels
like it has picked over them and made corrections.   If no one gets there first,
I might have a go at the 'London has let me down', 'Hurley's Having Dreams' and
'Winter Wooskie' when I have the time.  Any shady 'Rhoda'-owning feel like doing
that?

I understand about people's typing problems leading them to type in lower case.
But I've realised that what makes me far less likely to read something properly
is an complete absence of line-breaked paragraphs.  Big blocks of text just make
my eyes glaze over.  Not that my whether I read things or not is necessarily a
matter of earth-shattering importance to anyone.  Incidentally - you may spot
that the 'Century of Elvis' lyrics below are strangers to shift keys and line
breaks.  But they're kind of nice that way.

Nick xxx

Pocketbook angel

Hey, I'm down on the city lane
I guess I am broke again
Cause summer is such a pain
Yeah, I'm down on the city floor
I guess I am pretty poor
At least I am not alone

Cause here she comes again
Oh I saw her just yesterday
She looked at me in a certain way
Cause she's a pocketbook angel
And I know she fakes the limp
Cause  I saw her in Littlewoods
While she was buying some frozen food
She just wants to be goofy

I've seen her write it all down x4

Because of all the things she sees
Because of all the things she sees
Things she sees

Yeah, she's got it all on computer disk
Cause she's a marketing analyst
I sometimes wonder what she's got on me
Oh sure, I had a job in an office once
I never talked to anyone
All I ever do is sit around

She told me over tea
She's not working for another boss
She got fired but it was their loss
Cause she's a pocketbook angel
And now, all the kids have got pocketbooks
I guess it's the way it looks
Their cosmopolitan diaries

I've seen her write it all down x12

Because of all the things she does
Because of all the things she sees
Things she sees

A Century Of Elvis

we were sitting in the living room on the sofa, the wrong way round,
looking out the window. it was quiet, and then in the car park across
the road we saw elvis - look, there beside the postman's van, and he was
walking round the postman's van, looking in the open door. he looked as
if he was thinking about getting in, but then the postman came back, and
he swaggered off, walked past the window and down the stairs, and then at
the bottom of the stairs right by the caretaker's office, he started
licking the pavement. every night now since we moved in that new house
there's this noise outside the door at just about half seven or eight o'
clock every night. and if we go and look outside the door, elvis'll be
standing there waiting to be let in. and then he wanders into the living
room, maybe sits down on one of the chairs or even lies down on the
floor. he doesn't say much, he just stays there for an hour or two,
watching the tv. we talk to him a bit, and then around ten o' clock,
he'll go away again, and not come back until the next night. there's a
lot of lanes and stuff around here, around the house - although it's
right in the middle of the city it seems quite like the country, it's
dead hidden - safe i suppose, made for night living. there's a lot of
squirrels and birds, and stuart says he's seen about nine foxes there
when he's jumped over the fence on his way to byres road. sometimes
you can go out walking, and when you've been out for a wee while even you
don't know where you are anymore, so it would be pretty hard for anyone
else to find you. i suppose that's why he spends so much time there,
that's why he's come to live there, or maybe it's just the squirrels. i
read about somewhere that he likes squirrels quite a lot. there's these
two videos that we got for wedding presents - called the e-files, e-files
one and e-files two about how elvis is supposed to be still alive. and
one time when he came round we were watching one of those, but he didn't
say anything he just sat on the armchair. he was playing with his collar
a bit, and we watched it right through and then when it finished he just
got up and walked off into the mist and didn't say anything. the first
few times he came round i didn't speak to him at all, i wasn't really
sure what to say. and karen spoke to him quite a lot - she seemed to
know what to do more than i do. he had quite a strange manner though,
he'd go into your stuff and look through it, then he'd maybe pick
something up and play with it for a wee while, but he'd never make any
comment about any of it. seemed pretty rude to me. i just watched
whatever karen did, and listened to how she talked to him and then, after
a while i started to copy that, and tell him a few things, not really
bothered about whether he responded or said anything back or not. i
think the first time i spoke to him we were sitting up on the mezzanine
and i said that i would tell him about me and wee karen, and how it was
that we'd come to be living there. i thought he probably liked the fact
that we were living there because he came round so much, so i thought he
might want to know how it was that it came about. we did it all over
backwards, i told him . first of all we got to know each other, and then
a while after that we met, and when we'd known each other for about seven
years we decided to have an anniversary, and that went quite well, so
after the anniversary we had a honeymoon, and that went well too, so
after that we decided that we would get married. that's why we're living
there now. i used to think my dad was elvis, but i haven't told him that
yet. i haven't told my dad either...

The Loneliness Of A Middle-Distance Runner

I'll take a second of the day to think about the things that we have done this
year
The dog lies down, the pouring rain, i'm underneath the smokers' railway arch
again
The future's looking colourful, it's the colour of blood, chaos and corruption
of a happy soul
A happy soul will write in the field, write in the field, write in the field
'Til the rain dies down.

The railway ticket states the destination but it doesn't mean we will show
There's a fork upon the line, we'll pay the guard to switch the sign and off we
go
The future's looking wonderful, it's the wonder of the business-man's conspiracy
 to sell you wares, but no-one cares
Oh you care I know, you care I know, you care I know
I forgot for a while.

And on a sulky afternoon spent in dispute you'll give yourself a headache yeah.
So I take revenge in stories, and I'm dreaming of the time when we're on stage

Have you seen the loneliness of a middle distance runner, when he stops
the race and looks around, all at the stage I've seen it now
I'll walk to the station, walk to the station, walk to the station
Won't you follow me?

A Space Boy Dream

I dreamed I had to go to Mars.  I'm always kidding on about going to Mars
through the day, but faced with the reality of it in a dream, I was terrified.
And it wasn't going to be like a moon  trip.  There were three of us going but
we couldn't all go in the same ship - we had to go one at a time, one day
between us.  I had to go first, and it was the thought of passing through all
that black space, all the darkness with nothing in it, and then being the first
one to land there, all alone.  I knew it was supposed to be all dark around with
just a red surface, but what if I got there and it was light, all civilized and
populated and stuff?

So I made a plan.

The other two astronauts were going to be my dad and my sister, and my dad would
come first after me.  So I decided when I landed I would stay in my seat until
he got there and then we'd both get out together and have a look around and see
what sort of things were there.

And when I woke up and I was lying in the darkness, I thought I had landed.  And
I just lay still for awhile, waiting for my dad to get there, too.

Wrong Love

I went looking
For my darling
I went looking
For a sign
And I found her
In the morning
Somewhere in the back of my mind
I'm not what I could be
I need a true love
I went looking and I found her
The wrong love
The wrong kind
The wrong hand to be holding
The wrong eyes to go searching blind
The wrong dream to have in my mind
I went looking
For my darling
I went looking
For a sign
And I found her
In the morning
Somewhere in the back of my mind
I'm not what I could be
I need a true love
I went looking and I found her
The wrong love
The wrong kind
The wrong hand to be holding
The wrong eyes to go searching blind
The wrong dream to have in my mind

I'm not what I could be
I need some loving
I went looking and I found some
The wrong love
The wrong kind
The wrong hand to be holding
The wrong eyes to go searching blind
The wrong dream to have on my mind
The wrong love
The wrong eyes
The wrong smile
The wrong love
The wrong love

Paper Boat

I think it's going to be all right,
I think it's going to be just fine,
I think it's going to be much better than before,

I think we're going to see the sun,
I think we're going to have some fun,
I think we're going to walk out through the open door,

Maybe when I wake up in the morning,
Maybe when the darkened skies are blue
Maybe in a paper boat we'll both just sail away,

Underneath the river trees,
Off towards the lazy sea,
Underneath the beach that carries poeple home,

Past  the church where Jesus saves
Off to find path of good ways,
Sailing off towards adventures of our own,

Maybe when I wake up in the morning,
Maybe when the darken skies are blue,
Maybe in a paper boat we'll both just sail away

Trumpety bit.

I think it's going to be good fun.

Lord Anthony

Anthony, bullied at school
Get your own back now you are cool
Or are you still bunking off though you're a tough
It's all gone wrong again you got to hold hands

But the teachers got no control
Boys aren't lying
You will stay quiet
Or you will die

Tony at the back of the gym
Smoke another one, the chances are slim,
'Cause here they come again
They got you on the prowl
You're tasting blood again
At least it's your own

When will you realize it doesn't pay
To be smarter than teachers, smarter than most boys,
Shut your mouth, start kicking the football,
Bang on the teeth you were out for a week

You may as well take it in the guts, it could get worse
just take it in the guts, it could get worse
just take it in the guts, it could get worse
just take it in the guts, it kind of hurts there

You'll soon be old enough to leave them all
Without a notion of a care
You'll leave two fingers in the air
To meagre living

Tony, you're a bit of a mess
Melted tolberone under your dress]
But if the kids could see you they would pass you right by
The mascara running over your eye

Why don't you realize it doesn't pay
To be smarter than teachers, smarter than most boys,
Shut your mouth, start kicking the football,
Bang on the teeth you were out for a week

They call you lord Anthony but hey, it could be worse
Lord Anthony but hey, it could be worse
Lord Anthony but hey, it could be worse
Lord Anthony but hey, it kind of suits you anyway