Sinister: Nothing to do with twee-ness, honest!!!

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Wed May 19 19:20:18 BST 1999

Hello

(Ignore first paragraph if you aren't from Central Scotland)

Do any of you Glasgow types have, or know anyone who has, spare
ticket(s) for the Stereolab appearance at the Beat Room special at
Cottiers on Thursday?  My source has failed to supply the goods, and
they are all gone and I am ever so slightly miffed.  Anyone?  Please?

YOU CAN ALL COME BACK NOW!

A thought for the lot of you (no! stay!  it's not long-winded and
ill-thought out like they usually are - well not as bad as the last one
!!):

Antje said:

> I'm only on the list for about 2 months now and
> I don't know what it was like before, but there hardly seems to be any kind
> of conversation going on here at all. Maybe there are just too many people on
> the list now, I don't know. I think the more there are, the harder it gets to
> get to know each other, too.

There have been what I would construe to be conversations since time
immemorial here, why only this week we have been privy to conversations
about Dr Pepper, pseudo-twee-ness and whether the list is disappearing
up its own arse.  The reason they don't always turn into full blown
list-wide discussions is because out of 1000+ people, only a few are
motivated enough with something to contribute - imagine if everyday
everyone carried on every conversation, your inbox would have 1000 mails
everyday and somewhere in deepest Edinburgh, Sinister Central would
explode.  I am moved to reply to things almost every day, but I don't
usually do it, as I know nine times out of ten someone else will come
along and say it anyway.  So I don't. I observe until something comes up
I really want to get involved in/share with you all.  Hundreds of things
I would like to see continued disappear into the mists of the archive
unaddressed - if someone says something that it seems only you wish to
carry on a conversation about, write to them personally :)  That's how I
made most of the friends I have here, and it saves occurrences of things
like the great Fraggle fiasco of earlier this year - go to the archive,
type "fraggle" and see just what an ill-advised conversation can do to
people's minds and inboxes.  Of course, some discussions, which
interest, inform or entertain us should be kept ON the list, but with
1000+ people from diverse backgrounds it's gonna be difficult to stop
people chipping in with new threads, especially when they get sick of
reading about the same thing for the 400th time that week.   But you
have people's addresses, and you have the ability to re-introduce a
thread if it's not been exhausted, merely dragged down and drowned in a
sea of Dr Pepper and Fraggles.  The list, as people never tire of
saying, is there for you, and it's what you make it.  So use your voice
constructively.  Which is rich coming from me, as all I do is moan, and
I also contributed to the Fraggle Rock nonsense. But I'm learning :)

Erm, I just checked my inbox and Tim Hopkins has just said that much
more concisely while I have been waffling on again.  Never mind, eh?  My
scary double life involving Tim Hopkins (cf my belle and sebastian
dreams) continues, as I spent a bit of this aftenoon listening to old
records I hadn't heard for ages, one of which was Aztec Camera's
"Jump".  Mine was inspired by that crappy car advert which has a kid
singing "True Colours" by Cyndi Lauper, a song that young Mr Frame gave
'the treatment' to some years ago.  I listened to that too, it was fab.

There, I have conclusively proved that Francesco is W!R!O!N!G! to say
that I am the best writer on Sinister.  He's right about me being plain
though...

And thank you all for ignoring Mark Casarotto's exhortations to vote for
me in the list crush.  I did what I did for Honey, so if you must vote,
vote for him.  Or yourselves, you collectively with the guidance of our
surrogate mummy do a hell of a lot more for this list than me blathering
on about nonsense.

Erm, get back to me about the Stereolab thing privately please.  That's
where I started, and that's where I'll end.  I'll buy you beer or
something if you can help, or I'll make you a tape containing novelty
cover versions. Or something else completely different.

Ailsa xx