Sinister: B&S MONEY MAKING OUTRAGE!:)

Damon Seils seilsd at xxx.net
Wed May 19 20:15:59 BST 1999

Okay, fellow poo heads.

This is quickly going to become one of those unwieldy, annoying threads.
But I thought I'd stick my head in...

   Elish Hope said:

   > However, if you [Tim] feel that B&S ARE in this for the money,
   > and it upsets you, then you have the option of not listening to them.

Tim said pretty clearly that "I'm not saying B&S have done that."

I think Tim was pointing out the distinction between bands for whom money
is the primary motive and bands who don't always "do right by the fans."
The two are entirely separate issues.

   Elish also said:
   > Look at how they have run their career so far.  They have
   > NEVER appeared on the cover of anything...They DON'T do
   > interviews...They do what they want out of resect for their
   > music and I believe that they are true to it. I am disheartened
   > that you, or anyone else, wouldn't see them that way.

So B&S have been "media-shy" and "elusive" and whatever else the music
magazines have said about them. It doesn't necessarily follow that B&S are
doing this out of some noble respect for their music. One could just as
easily argue that B&S are cultivating an image as aloof artists in a
cynical ploy to appeal to a particular sector of the music-buying market. I
don't believe that's true, but the approach is not unheard of. The Smiths
and were shamelessly marketing themselves to a similar piece of the market,
and were quite good at it, weren't they? I still like the music, and I'm
not convinced they had no respect for what they were doing.

I think it's a mistake to assume that, because B&S make good music, they
are somehow the noblest of people or that they aren't taking advantage of
their place in the market. Maybe they are wonderful people, maybe they are
complete shits...it's got nothing to do, *necessarily*, with the quality of
their music.

Oh, bye now.

---
Damon