Sinister: Premier post.

Ahab0125 at xxx.com Ahab0125 at xxx.com
Thu May 20 00:36:46 BST 1999

Hello,
     It seems as though I've been given a "voice" amid a light flurry of
controversy.  I would like to respond to what Tim and Elle have been saying
in particular.  I don't think it is at all irrational to place a high
consideration on the relationship between artists and their art; a genuine
sincerity leads the two to become inseparable.  "Art" made strictly for the
money is a product and the "artist" a craftsman.  This doesn't mean, however,
that artists capable of earning a living from their art are guilty of this,
in fact it is unfair to look upon a complete lack of consideration for a
career as the only true sign of sincerity.  If an artist creates something as
a result of an honest impulse and they can potentially stand to gain from it
why not do so?  If the hope of gain serves as that initial impulse then it's
a different story, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  Obscurity and
neglect are too often glorified.  Some artists begin with something perverted
by that hope of gain, while others later become perverted by it.  I don't
think Belle and Sebastian can be accused of either.  If their next album
sounds like Sugar Ray I'll stand corrected.  I don't think that their
"media-shyness" involves any posturing, rather it seems to indicate a greater
focus on doing what they do instead of surrendering to the lure of media hype.
     I do agree that anything can and should be looked upon critically, but
sometimes if one goes looking in search of an ill motivation it will be
found, whether  it's there or not.  As far as Jeepster goes, record companies
are businesses and seldom patrons of the arts...Although the same principle
applies, a heartfelt interest in the bands who's records they sell ought to
be maintained, and to me it seems as though this is true of Jeepster.  They
seem to be fair to the listeners as well.  That's all.

 James