Sinister: White Horses

andrew dean koogy at xxx.uk
Thu May 20 15:31:22 BST 1999

(oops, this turned out to be very long. still, i've not posted in 2
months so...)

> Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:21:35 -0700
> From: "Elish Hope" <ehope at xxx.com>

> Yes, we do - but what is the hubbub about?  Jeepster DON'T charge 40 pounds
> per album - so why the fuss?  In fact, when labels do the singles for the
> 1.99 for the first week, they all lose money.

they lose money on that single (but then haven't i read somewhere that
most singles lose money?) but usually they use the single as an
advertisment for whatever lp it was taken from. now, b&s are good to us
in as much as none of the singles they have released (so far) have
contained anything from any album (something sarah records also used to
do*). compare this to 'thriller' or something which had eight singles
taken from it.

> Major labels do it to get in
> the charts, Jeepster did it when they weren't even eligible for the charts
> due to the 4 song EP rule.

no they didn't. only one b&s ep has been 1.99 during it's first week of
release (i forget which one but i remember this cos i bought 3 at the
time. and i think one of the others was 2.99) and that was whilst 4 song
eps were still eligible. that said, '3,6,9...' was actually a 5 song ep
which wouldn't've counted.

(koogy looks in his records and sees that 'dog on wheels' was 2.99,
'llpj' was 3.99,  '3, 6, 9...' was 1.99 and 'MRS' was 3.49, 'sinister'
was 12.49, as was '...arab strap' (all cd versions). and 'tigermilk' was
8 quid including postage)

> My point was - WHEN HAVE JEEPSTER EVER DONE WRONG BY US?  The answer is
> never.

the answer is 'not yet' (unless you count the gentle waves single
debacle that tim mentioned). i saw somewhere that the next two looper
singles will contain tracks from the lp, an lp that already has two
singles taken from it and was only 38 minutes long to begin with.
(looper was 14.99 in my local shop btw although i got it from the rough
trade instore for 11.99. it cost 12 pounds to record according to 'the
face')

> Actually that isn't too bad for
> a band that took 11 hours or so to sound check at Bowlie as reports said.

how can this possibly be true? given that the bands on sunday started at
4:15 then did b&s soundcheck starting at 5am the previous morning? and
if they had soundchecked for 11 hours would stuart's saxaphone have made
that pathetic little whine when he tried to play it?

father damo:
> The Smiths
> and were shamelessly marketing themselves to a similar piece of the market,
> and were quite good at it, weren't they? I still like the music, and I'm
> not convinced they had no respect for what they were doing.

the smiths were also fans of the 'no singles from lps' thing although
they were very sneaky about it and whilst the a-side of most of their
singles didn't appear on any lp, the b-sides of many of them did (this
being back in the days of 2 track 7" singles)

> Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:59:17 -0230
> From: "erika balsom" <ebalsom at xxx.net>

i wonder if erika has a brother called alberto?

nick dastor wrote:
> (the lyrics to all the unreleased b&s tunes)

nick, you have too much time on your hands. 8)

can anyone (and i'm thinking now of two people in a flat in attercliffe
road  who probably know better than anyone) if the 'landslide' song they
played at camber sands was an original or a cover version? it sounded
very convincingly motown / girl groupish.

also, speaking of camber sands songs, i can't believe the decision to
play 'the kids are alright' wasn't influenced by all the talk on the
list of The Who. maybe if we mention 'White Horses' enough times they'll
do that at the next gig...

paint along with
andy

*except of course sarah 614, even as we speak - feral pop frenzy which
contained the lead track from the 'one step forward' single as a favour
to the band as it was hard to get hold of in their native australia.