Sinister: hugs and kisses

Lucy Munro lucy.munro at xxx.uk
Thu May 20 18:28:59 BST 1999

Rachel said:

> what i was wondering was if anyone had any info on this
singer/songwriter susie hug (?) whose song 'the unbelievers' they covered.
it was absolutely fantastic and i want to check her out, see if she is any
good. so could any of you kind people help? someone must know her
surely.... <

Unless there are two Susie Hugs around (which seems unlikely) she
used to be in a band called Katydids which had a rather wonderful
single out a few years ago called "Lights Out" and a couple of
albums, one of which was produced by Nick Lowe (a *good* thing).
Nobody bought the albums and they split up.  That's all I know, apart
from the fact that Travis had one of her songs (can't remember which)
on one of their singles.  Again, I can't remember which one (sorry,
this isn't very helpful, is it???) - I did have it, but I gave it to
one of my flatmates because she liked their single that was on Top of
the Pops a few weeks ago.  I think the sleeve was red and green.
(Shades of Brian Glover's character in Porridge: "I read a book once.
Green it was.")

Um.  I'm probably showing my ignorance and lack of sophistication
here, but I was reading Stephane's story in the library and it
mentions someone drinking "le cidre anglais".  Why "anglais" please?

Went to the Jazz Cafe on Sunday to (as it turned out) stand
gawping at the brilliance of Robert Forster and Grant McLennan.
Stevie Trousers is absolutely right about Robert's makeup, though we
were pleased to see that he'd cut his hair since he played in London
last year when it was fast approaching mullet status.  I had to hurry
to get there, as I'd been to a party for a friend's first communion -
v. odd as I'm a non-Catholic agnostic.  Is that mixture of sacred and
prophane with a dollop of indie-pop B&S enough?

I haven't posted in ages, but I'd like to say that I now regret
not having bought tickets for Bowlie, I've done my penance, and I'd
like apologise to anyone whose feet I trod on at the Betsey Trotwood
on the Thursday before.  I now realise that I was drowning my sorrows
in advance.  Isn't Harvey good, though?

Lucy

Lucy Munro
lucy.munro at kcl.ac.uk