Sinister: Shyness is nice and shyness can stop you....

CALLENDAR R RACALLEN at xxx.uk
Thu May 20 18:21:21 BST 1999

 ...from doing all the things in life you want to...
To return to the question from Chris[?] about how he, being shy, can meet
shy girls..well, I'm very shy when it comes to chatting people up. My ideal
guy would be shy, and often if I see someone I fancy, they do turn out to be
shy when we are finally encouraged to talk. The trouble is, even with some
eye contact, I am still too shy to approach them and if they are shy as well
then we are doomed to just glance/stare at eachother across the dancefloor
for the whole night. I always say that I want people to come up to me.
Unfortunately those that do approach me I do not fancy myself. The best
method for a shy boy to talk to a potential partner or friend is to get one
of your friends to go and get the person you like. It saves alot of time.
Happened to me last night. The strange thing is that I can go up to someone
I don't fancy without any problems, and being an actor, I can publically
display myself on stage without problems either. Are there any other shy
people on the list who feel the same way? How do you get together with
people you fancy?

 IN IT FOR THE MONEY. There are two schools of thought about Belle &
Sebastian and Jeepster that their shyness of the media is because they don't
want to whore themselves to the detriment of their art OR that it is a ploy
to attract listeners from a particular sector of the music buying public. If
that is the case then they have succeeded. And well done to them. Personally
I don't think that making money is bad. It is what you do with it that
counts and how it affects you. If you use your money to improve your art or
to help others then that is good. But if you waste your money and get greedy
and let your music or art suffer because of that, then that is bad. Money in
the right hands can do alot of good.
So do not chastise a band or record company for striving to better
themselves through making money. If Jeepster can make more money they can
find and sign up more bands like (or totally different to) Belle &
Sebastian. As long as the bands they sign make beautiful music and/or have
something interesting to say then I think that is good. What do others
think.

Just a brief note: I was under the impression that it costs under a pound to
actually press a CD, and even after publicity costs, artwork e.t.c a CD that
is MASS PRODUCED and sold for £1.99 can make money. Certainly, with ALBUMS,
the cost to make an album is considerably less than what they are sold for.
VERY small record companies have to sell their albums at a higher cost
because they have to pay for and do alot of the publicity themselves.
Whether or not Jeepster can be seen as one such record company nowdays is
another matter. I recently bought the 'Dog on Wheels' and 'This is Just a
Modern Rock Song' EPs for £5 each in HMV. Why they cost this I do not know.

That's all. Goodbye for now. //ROB xx
http://www.angelfire.com/ga/yindiescene/index2.html