Sinister: new romantics

Lesley J Miller rebelstrange at xxx.net
Fri May 21 10:33:49 BST 1999

another day another dollar
From: "ian" <ian at xxx.uk>
Subject: Sinister: muttering kites
a musical version of saint john's wort?  ugh.  i had some of that once and
it gave me stomach ache.  you say isobel does the same thing?  well, that's
all i need to know.

NO you silly monkey.  isobel does not give you stomach ache.  i've never
taken st johns wort. all i know is it's sposedta make you fuzzy and happy.
it probably doestn', but it's the thought that counts. and i CLEARLY said
"or whatever" which, in that gen-x hipster moronic fashion, grants automatic
er, flexibility to whatever it qualifies, leaving you free to withdraw
anything stupid you may have said or anything you have doubts about, or if
you're just too SOFT to make a flat statement boldly.  anyway. isobel does
not make sick.  it makes you feel fuzzy, like sitting out on a grassy hill
and making daisy chains and drawing pictures of horses.    OR getting down
to kinky love in a mirrored chevy van.  either one.

someone said Hesse should be read. i've only read uh DEMIAN, on
recommendation of a pseudo-lady love of mine, but it was bloody amazing.
bollocks.   it's totally fabulous.  that should be on our sinister reading
club too.    it will blow your mind.  i hear Hesse is lumped witht he
beat(off) generation, but i found nothing in common with bukowski or
kerouac.  very spiritual.  or maybe he's supposed to have inspired the
beats? well fuck the beats.  i'm sorry, but really.

the gatefold  photo is angelic.  we salute you elle*** for years of joy to
come.

lastly.  i was remembering someone a while back in the olden days was asking
what were the characteristics of b/s, or "tweepop" or indie fluff or
something.  i was thiking about b&s in conjunction with my art history
class.  i mean istn' it a bit like the Romantics reaction to Realism?  all
ovver again--which i think seems to be a natural  cycle repeating--but a
revolution against  apparent materialism, concerns with economics, politics,
brute realism and popular culture as it stands.  the romantics and
symbolists found emotion and esthetic more important than giving a moral
message, or depicting in photographic/scientific reality--they preferred to
draw from mythology, and simply make things that were exotic, splendid and
beautiful to look at.  someone might say it's morally empty---i dont 'see it
like that at all.  it's art for the sake of itself.  a CREATED reality in
the artiist's mind, rather than a copying of the material world---the
meaning is created by the creation itself.  (foreshadowing err,
psychoanalysis etc??)   Well i'm not saying belle and sebby are vapid.  but
these days--so much emphasis on cmoputers, and having messages, and
conveying the brutality and nature of society.  there's comment in their
music certainly, but overall it just throws aside any seeking to be "modern"
or avant-garde, or shocking.  reactionary? i dont know.   they're totally
unselfconscious in sentimentality, and a lovely arrangement and melody for
its own sense.  without being too saccharine or rococo about it.  maybe this
makes no sense at all. i'm sorry i'm just rambling here.
i have seomthign really funny to say(*!*) but it will wait till later.  in
more importatn news, i hear the aging hipster Jarvisssss is going to be on
the TV program "politically incorrect" tomorrow late night on ABC in the US.
can anyone er confirm this for me, or did i hear wrong? that should be a
bash.
take care my pretties
LJ
http://www.members.tripod.com/rebelstrange
The boat that brings us here will crack beneath your weight. This is
territory you cannot invade.

"I'll go and play with words and pictures"

SAVE MST3K!!!!
http://www.mst3kinfo.com