Sinister: Lips, selfishness, glassies and biscuits (more rubbish)

ian ian at xxx.uk
Fri May 21 12:21:41 BST 1999

hello

happy friday everybody.  if any of you are sunbathing, i envy you.  although
you probably won't be sunbathing as you read this.  unless you have a
topless house..
anyway, onto other things...

tim said:

->>the flaming lips. What can I
>>say. Go and see them live. They are orgasmic. Hey, they are POST orgasmic.
>
>When I read this, I immediately had a vision of all the women in the
>audience looking pissed off and wondering when the fun would start, and all
>the men snoring contendedly. Oh. Was that too much information?

yeah.  when i saw them come on stage i had a strong urge to get out of bed
and go and grab a handful of tissues.  then i remembered where i was :)
actually, by the time they finally got on stage at bowlie, the only thing i
had an urge to do was go to the bar.  after the pastels "oh, we've had a
powercut" (wahay! what an exit!) and what seemed like about three hours of
being pushed up against a sexy young italian boy...complete with
girlfriend...i was feeling frustrated and thirsty.

and i think i've gone WAYY off subject.

tim again:

>>I've cheered up now. I have also eaten a Marble for post-exam comfort
>
>Blimey! A *marble*? Was it a clear one, or one of those with little wisps
of
>colour in them? I knew you were hard, but actually eating marbles for
>comfort post-exams?

out of interest..has anyone here ever stuck a marble up their nose?

>Do you chew them like rock, too hard to take any notice of the shards of
>glass embedding in your gums? Bloody hell.

it can't be any worse than eating a "wham" bar.  they were awful.  and they
pulled your teeth out.  actually, i think i've got a recipe for marble
risotto, i'll dig it out :)

>I have been living about 150 miles from my record collection for around six
>months, and I am starting to notice myself getting the urge to play
peculiar
>records that I haven't dug out in years... 'The Apple Stretching' by Grace
>Jones,

i have no comment to make on the status quo issue but grace jones!!!!  the
woman is a star.  have you ever heard her sing "the sun'll come out
tomorrow"?

jim:

people made me realize what i enjoy about b&s the most--listening to
     them by myself or with my closest friends...i'd see them again in a
     heartbeat, but it was the overall feeling of the festival and not
     seeing the band which made the weekend extraordinary..

absolutely.  and the feeling that came from the crowd when they went
on-stage was fantastic.  frankly, that night i think they could have sang
songs from brigadoon and we would still have cheered everything they did.

>.in a hippie
>    kind of way, it was the first in a long time that i've felt the true
>     meaning of "community"...the fact that they headlined it provided the
>    nature of that community and whoever headlines the next will dictate
  >   the nature of the people and bands who gather together to form that
  >   community...long live bowlie!

watching the sun come up, one morning, the mist looked like water all around
camber.  i remember thinking how nice it would be to be cut off on an island
with only belle and sebastian fans there.  do you think we'd make a good
community?  once we'd stopped taking drugs, actually got some sleep and
maybe even showered some of the sand off our feet, that is.  oh, and maybe
some other people too.  after all, someone has to keep the kit kat cafe
running so we can munch on veggie burgers

i think i'll stop there as it seems like my computer is about to have one of
its periodic tantrums.  i can recognise the danger signs and perhaps it
needs a rest.  perhaps i do as well.  i still haven't had that cup of
peppermint tea.

ian