Sinister: Shyness is nice and shyness can stop you....

Graham MacArthur macarthur at xxx.com
Fri May 21 13:28:49 BST 1999

Hello dolls

I was introduced to the mayor (not major) of Hertford last night, very
formally, with my name announced by someone who looked like a beefeater
minus the beef, and somewhere, with my nerves going crazy, I said "Hiya".
 			I SAID HIYA TO THE MAJOR.
oh dear. Why didn't i listen to everyone else when they said "good evening
mr major". why? gah. My embarassment was consoled with ten tables of
minatre food. I didn't eat all ten tables of it, obviously. Ten plates,
maybe. Mind you, if i wasn't on the youth council, i wouldn't have an
excuse to talk to random skateboys about my proposals to open a skatepark.
I haven't said anything to them yet, i'm choosing my moment. I don't really
know how best to talk to them, should i litter words like "rad" "old skool
sick" "ollie" into the conversation?

Rob Callendar said:

 >Unfortunately those that do approach me I do not fancy myself. The best
 >method for a shy boy to talk to a potential partner or friend is to get
 one
 >of your friends to go and get the person you like. It saves alot of time.
>Happened to me last night.

I'm not mocking you, but wasn't it great when you used to be able to just
get one of your mates to say "my friend fancies you" and the rest was
history? It was so easy. I regularly used to be asked out at primary school
without evening talking to the person, they just used to stand five metres
away squirming while their mate came up with a big grin on their face,
ready to pop the question! and it was ace! and you'd always say yes, and
then if you found out you didn't like them, you could always share your
walkers with someone else until they got the message. Mind you, primary
school wasn't all sweetness and light for me, i was always too tall to
dance with the boys at the 6pm end of term discos. So i used to go solo,
you know, shaking my bit, to the hit, so the teachers wouldn't look at me
*that way* if I was standing on the sidelines, gazing longling at simon
lawrence (school stud).

>How do you get together with people you fancy?

If i knew the answer to that question, i'd probably wouldn't be writing
this. Or i'd be writing it telling you what to do. With the last person I
*thought* I fancied, i simply engineered it so we would be in the same
place at the same time and got talking to them. But then crushboy turned
into normalboringboy and i'm left without anyone to swoon over. Which is
getting v.boring..

Erica
xxx

 (who is busing wearing mini-skirts, going ice-skating, watching horror
 movies and believing her horoscopes under Arantxa's instruction. Because
 you're only young once, and i'm not going to stay inside listening to
wimpy
 pop records all day).