Sinister: Goo to a boose

Magpie Jay j_kerswell at xxx.com
Fri May 21 15:18:34 BST 1999

(spoonerisms never seem to fail)

Annie haps, i thought i would add the nose of my muse to the 'shyness'
debate that seems to have peered it's curious orange (curse you god for
making me this way) head above the edge of the fruit bowl again.

>From personal experience, i know what it is to be shy, but i believe i found
the reason, and solution to this (at least for me) about two years ago.
Having begun life as the school bully, I ended up being the bullied in high
school and sort of crawled into my 'please like me- i am nice really '
shell.

I think the main cause of shyness is caring too much about what other people
think of you, not wanting to offend, say something out of turn or be thought
of as boring or weird. Naturally everyone wants people to 'like' them, or
think them a worthy addition to their circle, in the company of strangers,
or even friends, it can be all to terrryfying to say something that could
jeapordise the arc of friendship. Yet in saying nothing it all it becomes
difficult for people to get to know you at all.

Being shy, lots of people may respect you or think highly of you, but you
can lack the closeness or feelings of acceptance other people seem to spin
in their sleep, whether actual or gloved empiness.

I decided that I had had enough of caring what others thought. If caring so
much made me unhappy, then it must surely be 'wrong' or at least not ideal.
I have since said things i wanted to say as and when i choose, and vow not
to be so pandering to those i want to like me, if they dont want me 'flunk
them' . Live for myself, but try not to step on too many toes.

While i have realised it has made me a little more arrogant, and maybe a
less nice person than i used to be, i have become much more confident,
happier, and wouldnt give a rolling fluffy shih-tzu about looking someone in
the eye and telling them i dreamed they were a bicycle bell.

Sure people may think your weird, but the sorts of people who you are most
suited to find you a lot easier, and thats when the friendships fall into
place, the second you stop worrying and have faith in yourself.

Of course it doesnt help you think of things to say to people, especially
strangers, and i can still struggle with that, but i feel less pressure to
say anything than i used to, and i like to think that in doing this i rid
the world of a few more strands of peppered small talk.

i think people generally fancy or aspire to those who appear stronger than
them, someone who can help grow them in certain ways
(mind-gutter be gone) or attain a strengthening from the bond, someone who
can make us 'better' or at least feel improved on as a result of the
association. If this is the case though, we would all be looking for people
with their sights set higher than us, its just a case of finding the aspects
we aspire to in someone, and having something inside us to offer them they
lack.

I really admire people like Mr Rob Callendar, who can see exactly who they
are and where they are from, put themselves in context and get on with
enjoying their lives. It takes time for all of us to work out who we are,
what we want and where we fit it, but I promise, you'll get there in the
end..

I'm going to fly away now before you start throwing 'pretentious wanker'
pebbles at me, but my wings dont bruise that much any more.

Magpie Jay- up, up and away

P.eaS:  Dr Pepper tastes of marzipan and makes makes my tongue furry, but at
least it doesnt go lime coloured like that icky Mountain dew used to induce.
  :OF- -

http://www.members.tripod.com/john_kerswell/star.html

If you really think it will make your life far richer you can.....