Sinister: Too funky for me

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Fri May 21 18:06:35 BST 1999

Sorry to clog up your in-boxes with dull politics, but I wanted to support
Honey and correct a few rather nasty insinuations

Firstly I oughta say that Mr Seb's flair for melodramatic flouncing shows
that his drama lessons haven't entirely gone to waste.

Secondy, a little more seriously, can I respond to a few points here?

"since [SOS's] founding 5-6 months ago the list has become more and more
tired...because so many of the people who used to contribute so much to the
real list have stopped posting".

Well I can only disagree. I like to think the list has got much better,
partly through the institution of such ideas as the nursery, which allows
people to acclimatise to the list, and points them in the direction of FAQs,
biographies, details of Tigermilk etc. As to the supposed idea that SOS was
cherry-picking the best posters and sapping Sinister, I can only say this is
poppycock. I think I personally mailed one three line post in the entire
time that SOS existed. To the best of my recollection nobody else posted
very much more. The enthralling issues of discussion were, respectively, the
question of the nursery, and the question of web-hosting. Paul asked some
mates for advice. Lots of people do this. I know of several spin-off
discussions from Sinister... some people set up little groups for their
bowlie chalet, some people set up groups in their particular neck of the
woods to co-ordinate picnics and things, Mistopher Christopher has the
sleeka sounds list. There was even at one point a list for people who were
providing B&S-related web resources. I dont tend to think of these as
particularly malevolent. But then I don't like the x-files either.

"I can only think that they spend so much time seeing if our post are up to
scratch"

Well, if this isnt paranoia, I don't know what is. On what do you base this
supposition, Seb? Do you imagine a crew of ice-skating judges holding up
marker cards?

"I've read things from the SOS list and I've read bullying letters sent by
its members".

I'd be fascinated to know what these are Seb. No, really I would. I think
it's the sign of an interesting mind to realise that generally there are at
least two sides to every story and thirteen ways of looking at every
blackbird. You seem to have heard one rather warped version. It would have
been more interesting to hang around and hear some others, no?

Twice in a week now it's been rather demoralising to see people raise
potentially interesting debates and walk out slamming the door behind them.
I continue to get a great deal out of sinister: I've made terrific mates
from all over the world  and have had some wonderful times. I think this is
because that because, by and large, the population of this list has been
hilarious, thought-provoking, and reasonable. It would be an absolute crying
shame if this was spoilt by some rather petty-minded and ill-informed
paranoia.

All the best

Stevie Trousers