Sinister: Os Mutantes! Os Mutantes! Os Mutantes!

Cynthia Someone csomeone at xxx.com
Fri May 21 18:19:37 BST 1999

Hello everyone:

I've been very sad to hear about all the mutter and flufferings about the
list, and that some people may be leaving because we have heard two sides to
the story, two extreme sides, and a couple of reactions to which. But I
wanted to make some suppositions.

I don't know if there is anyone to blame for all of this, the only thing I
could blame is Negativity and Faithlessness. Faithlessness that the list
will become boring, which, obviously, has not been of late, with much
philosophizing on romanticism and shyness and things. and negativity because
people choose to see other people as having bad intentions.  and do they
really? I can't imagine ex-listees having anti-list sentiment that would be
really worth anyone's consideration. I'm sure they mean no harm towards
anyone personally, and perhaps have what the Buddhists would call "wrong
view". I tend to believe that the reason why people get upset, or negative,
is because of a misunderstanding of the way of things, and that being upset
or negative creates these hard, unwavering criticisms of people on the list,
et cetera. Basically, i think i am trying to say that people are being
unwise. in all sorts of ways.

I do, however, think that having a select, unelected group of people
determining the way of the list can be stifling. I used to live in a
cooperative, that was so dedicated to an extremely liberal way of life, very
hippie, they used to have white sugar wars in "the good old days" but when
new people came in, a new breed, there was a lot of negativity in the house,
which completely ruined the ideals of the house in the long run. Hippieness
became an "image" more than a way of life, and everyone felt bad because
they couldn't live up to them. The house has lost all it's flavor. Look
what's happened to the Catholic Church: all these people losing touch with
an outdated way. I think maybe it would be a good idea if we came up with a
list of rules that could be agreed upon by everyone, and maybe come up with
a cleaner, better way for honey to seek out advice. or at least trust that
the honey filters out bad and good advice, eschews back-handed criticism, et
cetera.  with the idea that the list is a changing thing, and everyone must
stay open and positive. I personally don't blame honey, i think everyone
makes mistakes.

lesley jo said:
the romantics and
symbolists found emotion and esthetic more important than giving a moral
message, or depicting in photographic/scientific reality--they preferred to
draw from mythology, and simply make things that were exotic, splendid and
beautiful to look at.  someone might say it's morally empty---i dont 'see it
like that at all.  it's art for the sake of itself.

I think that all art has a spiritual basis, and spirit and morals go hand in
hand.  one must have spirit to have morals. Music has the power to soften
the heart and open the way to right understanding. Morally empty? I should
say not. no music lacks a political and social stance, be it positive or
negative. Music can be morally empty, but it comes from a lack of vision
from the musician. Avante garde, folk music, whatever, matters little the
genre. We listen to music, and we hear the heart of the musician. some
people have more soul than others. Accusations of a genre of having merit
this way or that, falls by the wayside wehn we are blown away by the spirit
of the musician. Bjork succeeds because she has the sould of a banshee.
{insert plug for the mysticism of sound and music, by hazrat inayat khan
from the Sinister book club.}

Cynthia