Sinister: happy little bunny

Megan K Lehar mkl206 at xxx.edu
Sat May 22 20:47:51 BST 1999

today has been all over for me.  i read all these posts in one fell swoop
so i went from furious to so pleased to a bit iffy.  of course, when i
read what funkyseb said, i was completely incensed.  sos isn't a clique,
it's a group of friends.  the way i see it, the difference between a
clique and a group of friends is that a clique won't let other people
join.  whereas on sinister, i feel like i've made friends from all phases
of the list's existence.  some of us know one another better, from having
spent hours in chat couseling one another, meeting and walking home
drunkenly arm in arm, meeting friends and lovers on the list.  but if i
was unwilling to make new friends on the list, i would have quit long ago.
the way i see it, there are easier ways to find out straightforward news
on belle and sebastian.  a lot of people post things, but over my stay
i've found that there are some posts i like a lot, adn some i don't.  some
of the posts i delete are poured over by my friends, which has made me
respect this list immensely.  the fact that there's such a readable
output.  in fact, the worst part of seb's post was when he said:

>This second list is called SOS (save our sinister- clever eh?) and since
>it's founding 5/6 months ago, the main list has become more and more
>tired, more repetitive, and lacking
> the drunken, cheeky swagger that made it so compelling in the first
>place. Why? Well, because many of the people who used to contribute so
>much to the real list have joined SOS, and stopped posting to the real
>list. (I can think of only a couple of exceptions to this rule.) And I

which sounded worse than anything else.  it made it sound like certain
people were good posters, and others were just dead weight, which is
ridiculously.  i want genevieve and matt and all the dozens of oter people
who started out so tentatively to feel free to write there wonderful
things without anyone else saying that what they post is wrong.  i may
disagree with what someone says, but i hope i never say that what you say
is wrong.  (ok, maybe redundant if it's like asking for tigermilk, but not
*wrong*).  at least i hope not.  and i like to think we won't ever get to
that point.  like i said, i was really mad, but i continued reading.  and
when i read what owen wrote, a new list member who had the good sense to
judge the list based on experience rather than heresay, i felt so much
better.  then elish and kimberly, two people i didn't know who were
willing to sit and discuss rationally rather than let the thing fly into a
flame war.  there's another reason that i love the list.  such lovely
people, more willing to invite you in for a cup of tea than to stick their
nose up and walk away.

anyway, on to other things.  when northy wrote:

>little news article about Bowlie II is fronted by a photo of me and my
two
>friends!  Yay!  I'm the one in the Bowlie tshirt, my friend Paul is
wearing

i could only just imagine tag's joy.  then susannah informed us:

>Ewan McGregor fans watch out. You know you all thought he was a nice
loving
>family man? Bollocks to that. Apparently he's a real tart and gets off
with
>loads of girls. He had an affair with Anna Friel whilst filming Rogue
Trader,
>she was obsessed with him apparently, and I met this girl last Saturday
whose
>friend shagged him in the toilets of a film doo, and afterwards he wiped
himself
>on the curtain, zipped himself up and went out to meet his wife. And Gary

so there's hope! i always wanted to be a groupie.

xoxoxo
megan