Sinister: The hills are alive...

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Sun May 23 04:44:26 BST 1999

Hello sweeties

I want to have the next Bowlie in that place Stephane talked about.  It
sounds fab, I love hills and cows and scenery :)  I'm not twee, i was
brought up with all that and it's great :)  I didn't like Camber much, I
mean Bowlie and that was ace, but there was a big power station looming
on the horizon and the sun came up the wrong way round and stuff.  I can
imagine Stephane's place to be something not unlike the Sound of Music,
all lonely goatherds and small children skipping round in matching
outfits made out of a magical big pair of curtains and all that stuff.
It also makes me think of the Chalet School stories which I read as a
child and thought were ace, before being despatched off to boarding
school and finding out that it absolutely was not all super
jolly-hockey-sticks fun and midnight feasts, oh no.  I'm sure Aranxta
can speak with much more eloquence about the chalet school stories than
I can, somewhere in the dim and distant past she was very eloquent and
enthusiastic about Mallory Towers and the twins at St Clares and the
like :)  The Chalet School was a bit like them, except set in a school
in a chalet.  In the Austrian Tyrol.  Which has damn all to do with
France, but anyway, it always seemed nice and I want Bowlie#2 to be
there.

I hate writing letters in the middle of the night, especially on a
Saturday as I should be out partying like it's 1999.  Oh, it is 1999.
Well, like it's a bit of 1999 that I'm not doing all-nighters studying
for exams then :)

I have decided to learn French just so I can read Stephane's Tweeclub
website as I really like the pictures on it and want to be able to read
it.  I will need a hobby anyway to while away the long hours of
unemployment that this degree will no doubt provide me with, and a
language seems like a good thing, even though my reasons are rather
tenuous.  Does anyone know what sort of job you *can* get after doing a
conversion course to IT that doesn't really teach you much about
anything, but bits about lots of things?  Cos none of my lecturers do :)
In fact, does anyone want to give me a job?  Probably not as you all
know I will do no work, merely sit at a computer all day and talk
randomly about nothing in particular till all my colleagues want to kill
me :)  No I am hardworking and honest and reliable and stuff.  Anyone?

Something dawned on me earlier this evening.  If, as seb said, the "list
elite" are too busy judging us to post themselves, then why should that
matter to anyone who thinks that they are an "elite"?  Surely if they
are just elitist tossers you wouldn't miss them anyway?  And if Paul
just wanted a place where he and selected chums could discuss what they
wanted, why bother continuing Sinister for the rest of us?  It's a hell
of a big thing to maintain if it's just to give them something to laugh
at :)

I'm glad to see some semblance of normality descending again.  Let's get
back to being all the things we always have been without the need to
question why, and who thinks we are or aren't good enough.  I have
noticed no drop in quality of the posts, and have never deleted a post
without first reading it (except hoax virus warnings).  I may not
*agree* with them all, but I certainly am interested in everyone's point
of view, and reserve the right to challenge that if I disagree strongly
enough, same as I can agree with people or continue a thread.  Isn't
that the whole point of this list?  I don't know how many times I will
apologise for being "precious" about this list over the last week or so,
but it's born out of passion and I defend it cos I don't want to lose
it.  Is that really such a bad thing?

In the case of anything of this nature arising again, my post in that
instance will probably just read "I agree whole-heartedly with what Nick
Dastoor said".  There, that saves us an awful lot of time, effort,
reading and typing :)  Well, not Nick obviously, but he *is* the one
with too much time on his hands :)

But enough of that nonsense.  It's silly and dull and I can't be
bothered.  I have exams to study for and much as I have loved the
opportunity to get on my high horse, garner a few list crush votes and
increase my shag potential by being uber-twee and mimsy and precious
over the last two weeks :), I think it's time to do some work and think
of happy things like Bowlie#2.  I won't get used to calling it "All
Tomorrow's Parties" as that's a rubbish name. So was Bowlie, mind you,
but at least that was rubbish and a mere two syllables.  So who's going
then?  So we can warn the barstaff to get more beer in reserve...the
girl behind the bar at the last one told me they ran out of beer as they
had been told that we weren't likely to be beer drinkers and that they
were well stocked with spirits and soft drinks in preparation for the
expected onslaught of shandy-drinking nambly-pamblers.  Come September
17th, I'll be wobbling tipsily on the table just to the left and up the
stair when you come in the door of the Queen Vic.  I'll see you all
there, mine's a pint of Beamish Black :)

Ailsa xx