Sinister: Elvis Impersonators, Nuns and Bibi Netanyahu... (or "I'm in Jimmy's Gang!")

Iain McGilp u02nim at xxx.uk
Sun May 23 20:49:09 BST 1999

Hey pop-kids...

Straying away from the central topics of the day (mainly
the alleged existence of some sort of Sinister (that's
sinister with a large "S"; I'm staying out of this
argument) higher power), I find myself reading that
Marianne is planning to take advantage of a cheap-flights-
to-Glasgow offer.
Innocuous though this may seem, I beleive
that I must point out (in a cautionary tone) that this
arrangement will undoubtedly involve Glasgow Prestwick
airport; which is more than likely some sort of
trans-dimensional wormhole to a much more surreal world
than our own.
Having worked in the cafe of this once great international
stopping point I have witnessed the full horrors contained
therein, which I have attmepted to catalogue:

1) Prestwick airport is the site of Elvis Presley's only
visit to the United Kingdom. Hence, during the summer
months it becomes a mecca for Elvis impersonators, who
arrive in their bus-loads. Its fairly disconcerting selling
chip butties to 50 year old businessmen in rhinestone
jumpsuits.

2) For those of you of an ecumenical bent, Prestwick
airport offers cheap flights to Lourdes. These were
originally operated by Sabre Airways, a Romanian company
who utilised decommissioned military aircraft.

3) Prestwick Airport is a frequent stopover for members of
the Israeli airforce, and on at least one occaision,
Benjamin Netanyahu, who was in the U.K. in his official
capacity as a bumbling oaf bent on causing full scale war
in the West Bank. A member of the catering staff who will
remain nameless came within seconds of serving him a bacon
sandwich.

4) The head barman is best friends with The Krankies
(N.B.: The Krankies- Truly terrifying Scottish children's
entertainers. Involves a middle-aged woman dressed as a
schoolboy. Nearly as scary as the Singing Kettle.), who
often nip in to visit, being as they are based in nearby
Ayr.

5) The manager of the catering division (who bears a
striking resemblance to the late Larry "Shut that door!"
Grayson) was threatened with court action by a choking
customer who he accused of having "a very narrow throat".

6) The Airport Security was once told off by the police for
calling out the bomb squad on two occaisions in a week to
"De-fuse" suspect packages which respectively turned out to
be a sleeping tramp and a briefcase full of Dutch porno,
including a nice line in corprophilia.

7) Prestwick airport is surely the only place in the world
where a member of staff has been run over by a light
aircraft. He probably shouldn't have been carrying a tray
of sandwiches and a bucket of ice-cubes down the secondary
runway.

Disturbingly enough, there is a slight twang of B&S
relevance in this note, in that I first heard the band when
a very cute baggage handler (Prestwick's baggage handlers
used to have to be able to sing, dance or play a musical
instrument, in order to entertain weary travellers as they
went through the routine asscoiated with international air
travel. For the record the aforementioned girl played the
clarinet and was a ballet dancer) put Tigermilk on the
stereo in the dishwashing room. Ever since then I've
associated B&S with the hiss of steam and the clatter of
cutlery. (I didn't mention the odour of stale food, cos
that's not a very favourable comparison.)

Peace 'n' love 'n' sparkling clean dishes,
Iain McG.

P.S. Has anyone heard anything about Glasgow's longest day
festival this summer (i.e. is it taking place)?
Iain McGilp
u02nim at abdn.ac.uk