Sinister: If you're feeling chipper/ go off and pinch a vicar

Natasha Rachel lyricjunkie at xxx.com
Sun May 23 22:45:26 BST 1999

Dear "none-more-fervent, website-powered
super-fans" (copyright the contents page of
*that* Select),

As someone who doesn't post very often, it may
seem a bit rich that I found the *whisper it* SOS
chaos a bit upsetting.  The reason being that the
apprehension, which I suspect other people also
feel (especially after the shyness discussion),
of being harshly judged if I posted, seemed for a
moment to be confirmed.  But then Nick Da Star
and Ailsa Rah!Rah! Ross (and everyone else whose
input was appreciated but whose names don't lend
themselves so immediately to distortion for
glorification purposes) stepped in, and that's
why I've got my sinister at Majordomo-typing fingers
out again.

Since I've been on the list, the notion of people
who are "friends you just haven't met yet" has
acquired meaning, and I don't care how
vomit-inducingly sappy that sounds, it's how I
feel.

While I was wearing my none-more-fervent
super-fan head yesterday, the thought occurred to
me that Sinister bears a huge resemblance to the
way in which Stu D and Karn met:  An endless
stream of long letters/ emails "about
them(/our)selves, and about the world" being
exchanged in both cases before people actually
meet.

I think we should all get our none-more-fervent
super-fan heads on more often.  Look what popped
out of Honey's when he was wearing his - an
entire mailing list which is so mouthwateringly
desirable, a whole rabble of us wearing our own
n-m-f s-f heads swarmed to it like bees to honey.
 (Pun very much intended.)

Among other interesting things, alex tobin said:

> I love music.  It makes me feel good
> Sometimes it makes me yearn for
> days long-gone.  Sometimes it evokes old and
> painful memories, and my
> mood evolves into a state of minor melancholy
> or pure kitschy
> sentimentality.

Which is very true.  I was going to put on TBWTAS
but didn't precisely for that reason - I didn't
want to get specific emotions stirred up once
certain songs take on a life of their own.  And
I'm not just talking about wanting to force Steps
to watch tapes of their pathetic selves on a loop
until they realise just how laughable and worthy
of every last drop of ridicule in the world they
really are.

And then he said:

>But music is good.  It is
> powerful.

YES!!  Even if some songs do uncontrollably bring
on undesirable feelings, the upside is being able
to put on, say, I Should Coco, when you want
something you KNOW is going to kick you out of
bed and make you bound about the room like a
hyperactive monkey.  An electric shock straight
on your botty would do the same, I suppose, but
that's the point - music SHOULD be an electric
shock to the heart, to the head and anywhere else
you'd like to administer it.

I'm off to tackle that vicar in the subject line
now.

Natasha xx