Sinister: let the Parrot run (er, should be fly I s'pose) free

Dom 95djb2 at xxx.uk
Mon May 24 01:06:36 BST 1999

Hi,

Well I'm going to let all the list discussions pass over me and stir a bit
of twee-ness into the mix instead:

"Since to love is better than to be loved, unrequited love may be the
finest love of all. If this is so, then the less requited the finer. And
it follows that the most refined passion possible for us must finally be
for those to whom we have never even spoken, whom we have never met. The
passing face, the anguish of a vision of a face, a face sitting alone in
front of you so endearing and so moving and so beautiful that you are torn
and sick inside with hope and despair, instant despair...for it is
hopelessly plain that no word can ever be spoken, those eyes will never
greet yours, in a few minutes the bell will ring, the bus will shudder
to a stop, and down some impersonal side street she will be gone."

-William Sansom, from "The Passionate North", 1950

I'll let you draw your own parallels between the list crush site and a
list where most people have never met... ;)

Lovelorn looks on the bus
Dom