Sinister: A Few Responses

Mick McMick * Sandcastle Records bp224996 at xxx.edu
Mon May 24 03:50:25 BST 1999

Hello,
	I just wanted to respond to a few points, some beat into the ground
already, some untouched until now.

	First of all, I was away this weekend, and only just now had time to
read all my Sinister mail. I was almost immediately appalled by
FunkySeb's misrepresentation of SoS. I was one of the so-called "elite
few" on SoS, and I think this had more to do with the fact that I very
obviously cared about the list when I talked about it with honey than
the fact that I was in with the in-crowd. I am going to reaffirm the
views of everyone who has posted that was on SoS, and say that he was
almost completely wrong about it. He did get a few things right about
it. It is, for example, a list. AND I want to again reaffirm the
statement that Honey is wonderful, and does a better job running this
list than any listmummy on any of the other lists I've been on did
running theirs. Even me ;)
	What struck me as more than a little bit apalling was that FunkySeb's
confused picture of SoS was almost word-for-word the one that an
employee of Jeepster posted to us. It is somewhat surprising that said
employee, despite the fact that (s)he had been on SoS since its
inception, managed to totally misconstrue what it actually was. Honey
immediately corrected said employee, informing him of the points that
all the SoSsers have brought up in response to FunkySeb's post.
	So I want to know, is Jeepster trying to get rid of Sinister? I don't
like to think so, but facts seem to make the possibility of this
suggestion a litle more real than I'd like. I'm not sure what I believe
at this point in time. I hope that FunkySeb's misconceptions of SoS were
borne from either:

A) An amazing and odd coincidence
OR
B) A loose-mouthed Jeepster employee complaining before Honey informed
him of his/her failings to understand the facts surrounding SoS.

and not an effort by Jeepster to undermine the list's love of Honey.

	I feel sorry for FunkySeb if he was so misinformed, but not so much so
realizing that he left before he could be told what was going on. His
loss.
	And on to the other things that some people brought up. Firstly,
although all posts are not commented on an official forum, when we talk
to our Sinister friends off-list, inevitably we talk about posts. We all
judge every post, just like we judge a great many things. You're all
judging this post right now, and there's nothing wrong with that,
whether you like it or dislike it. The fact that I was on SoS does not
mean my posts are not dissected, discussed, or deplored, although none
of these occurred on SoS.
	Lastly, several people, when commenting on recent events, said
something along the lines of "Stop it, B&S are just a band, and this
list is just a place to discuss them." I can understand why people do
think this, but I wish to inform the people who do that this is not
*just* a discussion list about B&S to a great number of people. It may
not mean as much to me as it once did, but to some people I am very
close to this list is almost as important, if not more important than
the band themselves. So if you want to just talk about the band, then
fine, but please consider that not everyone feels the same way you do,
and no one's forcing you to stay here. So if you don't like the content,
please delete the message, complain to some friends offlist, or
unsubscribe. Whatever you do, don't whine about how you don't like
certain types of posts on the list. If we all did that then all we'd
have was a bunch of complaining, then, wouldn't we? Yes, I realize I'm
whining ;)  Sorry, but I'm sure Honey has enough problems to deal with
already, so please excuse my preachiness.

 /"\_/"\_/"\  Brian Pennington, a.k.a. Mick McMick; Sandcastle Records
 \         /  bp224996 at ohiou.edu                           ICQ#5056758