Sinister: York Road, Down Street, Spanner Vale

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Mon May 24 17:25:51 BST 1999

...and that's my contribution to the Dead Tube Stations nameathon.  I
really want that LT face-pack and moisturiser set in the shape of
Aldwych entrance hall.  Even if I have to prise it out of the
trembling hands of a sick child.

Non-SoS member Mr Miller, with cheeks aglow, said this in a sing-song
voice:

> This evening I finally got to see Mister Olazabal's civic
reception.
> His smile roughly matched the inverse parabola of a deft chip out
of
> the bunker.

Was there dancing in the streets when the Spanish did a clean sweep
at last year's French Open ?  I only ask because, through the power
of Java this and Netscape that, I've got a little window on my
computer which tells me exactly what's happening on the red clay of
Roland Garros.  A little earlier Senor Moya began the defence of his
title by squeaking past somebody called Hipflask and Tim Henman is
currently struggling manfully against someone called Salami.  I kid
you not.  Are all of the lower seeds named after things you take to
picnics ?  Before you know it there'll be a wily southpaw from Lima
called Jose-Luis KraftSingles up against some US Collegiate hopeful
named Buck CherryBakewell.  Just as long as Charlie
PoisonousLiesAboutTheSoSList gets dumped in qualifying, eh ?

Ah, it's about that time of year again - the smell of freshly-mown
grass, the cloying tang of Robinson's Barley Water, the satisfying
plop of catgut against whatever it is they cover tennis balls with.
I still insist on putting 'racket sports' as a leisure interest on my
CV even though I know full well the last time I swung anything
resembling a racket in anger I was two stone lighter and still had
all my own teeth.

Keith 'Flying V' Watson bellowed the following and then swung his mic
around for a bit:

> Naturally everyone's invited
> even if you are shy, or don't like the 70's WHO.

I do have a strange hankering to hear 70s WHO again, if only for
nostalgic reasons.  My brother seemed to use the likes of "Who's
Next" and "Odds and Sods" as a stepping stone from the horror of
Emerson, Lake & Palmer to the majesty of Magazine.  I'd forgotten
about this until recently... I knew he couldn't have gone straight
from gatefold Roger Dean sleeves and 20-minute organ solos to The
Buzzcocks.  Say what you like about Daltrey's hair, if it stops a boy
listening to "Brain Salad Surgery" it has to be a good thing.

B&S content ?  Er, 20 years later my bro' goes into a record shop of
his own accord and buys "Lazy Line Painter Jane".  There's a
progression of sorts.

Mike (who recently bought a scanner.  You have been warned).