Sinister: Come to Milton Keynes

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Tue May 25 11:53:30 BST 1999

Hello chums,

It's already Tuesday and after Tuesday comes Wednesday and Wednesday is just
as miserable as Tuesday was. Hooray!

elle wrote:

>And if you're not there, I guess everyone can go back to dreaming >about
>good
>'Ol Stu-pots. Ofcourse, Stu's writing has a lot more in common with >JD
>Salinger... any rumors of him being on the list?:)>

Funny you should mention ol' JD, but he was on the list until about a year
ago. My word, he would post some ribald tales of his exciting life. Everyone
liked him so much that we were all very delighted when he arrived for the
second London list picnic. Unfortunately, someone tried to take a group
photograph and he was off, running down the hill, shouting 'You bastards!
You lousy, phoney bastards! You're just like all the rest!' That was the
last we heard of him. Rumour has it that he still reads the archives. I
thought I glimpsed him at the Gentle Waves show at the Improv, but I was
very drunk and it might have been some other old git.

Other famous writers who have been on the list include Iris Murdoch (Mrs. to
you), Alan Ball (whose 'It's All About A Ball' is a classic football read)
BlokeFromSelect, Peter 'Henry' Miller and the Venerable Bede, who used to
give even Andy Dean a run for his money in the historical trainspotter
stakes. At least, he would have if he'd known what a train was. Also, Bede
was always getting the b-sides of Sarahs 69 and 77 mixed up. It's an easy
mistake to make.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Oh well, no matter.

I'm genuinely saddened by the news of Augustus Pablo's untimely demise. He
is a man who has made a large number of truly great records and the world is
the poorer for his loss. At least I'm the poorer, because I've been trying
to see him live for a few years and now I'll never have the chance. Shame. I
shall play 'East of the River Nile' very, very loud this evening and shed a
tear for Augustus.

So it seems that reggae music may not after all be a cure for all our ills,
which is a great pity because I have been working on that assumption. I
guess it was unrealistic to expect reggae music to cure The Gout. I should
have tried a heavy dose of 1970s WHO. That would have sorted it. At least,
it would have made The Gout seem less unpleasant. By comparison.

Enough. Probably more than.

Tim