Sinister: fags, geeks & sex workers

Jim Schmidt Jim.Schmidt at xxx.com
Tue May 25 17:16:12 BST 1999

     all this sexuality talk has been getting me hot at work...i might duck
     out for a quick wank.

     ian wrote:
     "good luck with finding a gay boy who's into belle and sebastian."

     it's not impossible...of course, i'm in san francisco and if you're
     searching for a girl who's a boy who likes boys to be girls who likes
     dogs when on wheels, well, trust me, they're out there...one night we
     were at a club and a local paper was there taking personal ads (for
     free drinks) and i was really "happy", so i wrote one that started
     "arab-strapped boy"...well a rather smart-sounding fellow named jim
     answered it, telling me how he couldn't believe there was another guy
     into belle & sebastian...well that was before bowlie and we never got
     the chance to meet, but 'those' boys are definitely out there...or
     maybe i just answered my own ad. hmmm.

     as for gay bars being worse than hetero bars...ha! you obviously
     haven't been cruising the het scene lately...drinking? people looking
     to laid? bad music? not in straight bars!! never!!

     although i do have to say that the indie nights in london do have a
     freshness that most places here lack. i was at room 2 a few weeks ago
     after bowlie and not only was it excellent to hear TBWTAS, but it was
     great to see such a mixed crowd...girls kissing boys...boys kissing
     boys...it's wasn't about sexuality--it was about dancing to good
     music. full stop.

     as for those of you considering the sex industry, one warning:
     i deal with sex a lot with my job and i have friends who are sex
     workers, and while san francisco in general provides a sex-positive
     environment, i've seen it take its toll mentally (as well as
     physically). innocence lost is never fully regained.

     and finally, my book recommendation is "geek love" by katherine
     dunn...it was the first book i read when i moved to california...i
     picked it up off the floor of some guy's flat where i spent the night
     and i couldn't put it down...pure imaginative genius...disgusting and
     beautiful at the same time. it made me cry and that takes a lot.

     cheers. jim.